Silkie off it’s leg/s

Sorry about your silkie, but I also think that he may have Mareks. They may display a numb leg with curled under toes as one of the possibly symptoms. It never hurts to offer some vitamin B complex or a vitamin that contains riboflavin (B2) just in case of a deficiency. A leg injury with nerve damage also could be possible. It is too late to vaccinate your other chickens, since they have been exposed. The vaccine takes 2-3 weeks to take effect, and it is best to vaccinate any new chicks to your flock while keeping them from any exposure to feather dander or dust around your coop and environment.

Last edited:
Sorry about your silkie, but I alao think that he may have Mareks. They may display a numb leg with curled under toes as one of the possibly symptoms. It never hurst to offer some vitamin B complex or a vitamin that contains riboflavin (B2) just in case of a deficiency. A leg injury with nerve damage also could be possible. It is too late to vaccinate your other chickens, since they have been exposed. The vaccine takes 2-3 weeks to take effect, and it is best to vaccinate any new chicks to your flock while keeping them from any exposure to feather dander or dust around your coop and environment.

I’m worried about the other chickens getting the disease or starting to show symptoms.
Would a vaccine help the others so they don’t get it as severe?

The chicken in question if falls over on one side he can’t get up, and can’t really move forward. I’m starting to think the wing is affected, I put him outside by the water drinker and come back to him covered in mud on his side.

The others have already been exposed to the virus if he has the disease. I doubt that it would lessen their symptoms. Some may get the symptoms, while some may not get them, but all birds should be considered to be carriers for life. That means to close your flock, and not ever rehome birds. I am not sure if you can get testing or a necropsy to confirm Mareks where you live or not. @rebrascora, a BYC member who has Mareks in her flock in the UK may have some advice, but I haven’t seen her online as much this year.

Really good article!!!

OP, if it were me, I would try and get him PCR tested if it were possible.
I’ve tried to research and find somewhere that tests but not coming up with results.

Is mareks unlikely for a older bird? I think I read somewhere it’s unlikely in a bird over 20 weeks old?
Is there a way of eliminating Perosis / Necrotic dermatitis

I agree with the others of those possibility of mareks. You could call some avian vets and see if they can offer a location on where you could test your silkie. As of right now, I would keep an eye on the rest of the flock. He certainly looks like a he from your video and photos.

Back
Top Bottom