Silkie-Orp!!!

xlentjoyce

Chirping
9 Years
May 4, 2014
My Young banty Silky, Jinx went broody in late December when I was out of Town. We estimated her gestation period was up on the 15th of this month. She had her own 'birthing Suite' and all was good, but no peeps on the 15th, etc. Finally yesterday, I trudged out to pick up the eggs and send Jinx back to the main coop-day 25 after all. Out of nine eggs-(she was ambitious!) ONE had hatched! The rest were probably infertile, I guess. This was hers and my first experience in hatching eggs!!!what a sweet surprise. I have been raising chickens for 20 years- I'm wondering if the chick will have the Rooster's top knot (Silky) I think the mom was probably Orpington. Any ideas on that?

I'm wondering if the chick will have the Rooster's top knot (Silky) I think the mom was probably Orpington. Any ideas on that?
*Usually* beard, feathered shanks, extra toes, and also cresting are dominant.. the Silkie feathering gene is however recessive and all first generation crosses will be hard feathered.

If the Silkie sire is dark skinned, with the dame being light skinned.. the chick *may* also be sex linked by skin color.. with female offspring being dark skinned and males being light skinned.. seen best under the wing pit and usually after a week or two of development and not relevant to some dark comb/shanks looks (under the feet may be another good indicator place, this linking takes practice more than some others)..

Straight/single comb as in the Orp is recessive to other comb types.. So depending on the Silkie comb and any hidden genes.. the offspring are *less* likely to be straight/single combed. Feather color pattern may be easy to predict. but wasn't stated.

Please note these details are to the best of my recollection and I'm very novice in genetics.. Hope this helps.. at least for funsies!

Congrats on your first chick! :jumpy :jumpy

My Young banty Silky, Jinx went broody in late December when I was out of Town. We estimated her gestation period was up on the 15th of this month. She had her own 'birthing Suite' and all was good, but no peeps on the 15th, etc. Finally yesterday, I trudged out to pick up the eggs and send Jinx back to the main coop-day 25 after all. Out of nine eggs-(she was ambitious!) ONE had hatched! The rest were probably infertile, I guess. This was hers and my first experience in hatching eggs!!!what a sweet surprise. I have been raising chickens for 20 years- I'm wondering if the chick will have the Rooster's top knot (Silky) I think the mom was probably Orpington. Any ideas on that?
Any pictures of the likely parents and of course the cute baby? I don't know squat about genetics but you might get more feedback, and of course, we'd all love to see your beautiful birds! <3

Back
Top Bottom