Silkie pullet and chick color identification help please?

May 17, 2022
Long story short, after the infuriating encounter with this breeder today I don’t trust their word, or maybe just their knowledge because they definitely didn’t seem to know how to tell if the chicks had the right combs…managed to get a couple straight combs in there :he. The pullet is supposed to be a lavender but she looks dark to be a lavender so I’m putting a wild guess out there that she’s probably a regular old blue, but maybe someone with experience with lavender/self blue silkies might be able to add their expertise as I’ve never bred them or had an adult myself. The smallest chick is just a couple of days old and the others are maybe a week or two?
0AC13231-EC01-4223-BDD8-B19A4BBE8317.jpeg

Attachments

• C859B2C8-106F-4AE1-8900-E0214096AEB2.jpeg
    C859B2C8-106F-4AE1-8900-E0214096AEB2.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 10
  • BCDD2173-05BB-4EB6-B816-D37605A7BAF0.jpeg
    BCDD2173-05BB-4EB6-B816-D37605A7BAF0.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 43EB777D-7822-4BDF-A492-C33DDAFEAA2C.jpeg
    43EB777D-7822-4BDF-A492-C33DDAFEAA2C.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 10
Long story short, after the infuriating encounter with this breeder today I don’t trust their word, or maybe just their knowledge because they definitely didn’t seem to know how to tell if the chicks had the right combs…managed to get a couple straight combs in there :he. The pullet is supposed to be a lavender but she looks dark to be a lavender so I’m putting a wild guess out there that she’s probably a regular old blue, but maybe someone with experience with lavender/self blue silkies might be able to add their expertise as I’ve never bred them or had an adult myself. The smallest chick is just a couple of days old and the others are maybe a week or two? View attachment 3234570
Not sure which one you mean, but the largest bird in the last photo is light blue. Blue can look so light that it looks lavender to so dark that it looks black. This one is clearly blue because the head is darker.
Lavender will be all over uniformly one light silvery color.
The one in the second photo you are holding in your hand is Splash. I see some darker blue flecks coming in.
Unless these birds were DNA sexed too young to tell gender.😊

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Not sure which one you mean, but the largest bird in the last photo is light blue. Blue can look so light that it looks lavender to so dark that it looks black. This one is clearly blue because the head is darker.
Lavender will be all over uniformly one light silvery color.
The one in the second photo you are holding in your hand is Splash. I see some darker blue flecks coming in.
Unless these birds were DNA sexed too young to tell gender.😊

Edited for clarity
Thanks!! Yeah the darker head was what had me really questioning it once I got home and had better lighting. I guess I can make a blue black splash pen with what I’ve got 🤷🏻‍♀️ The naked neck isn’t normally what I go for but it’s personality is amazing. She ( :fl ) spent a good half hour when we got home snuggled in my lap and purring at me, so it doesn’t even matter that I can’t use her to try and get porcelains in my Millie fleur pen, I’m all attached now 😂🤣

Back
Top Bottom