Silkie Pullet being bullied

samdrussell

Songster
Apr 28, 2021
Hello,
I could really use some advice. I have a mixed flock with10 silkies, 2 other bantams, and ten full sized chickens of a variety of breeds. I have a small black Silkie pullet, roughly three months old. I have named her Imogen. She is very calm with me and will sit on my lap and let me pet her when I can catch her. I am concerned because she is often alone while they flock free ranges. Today while the others excitedly ate their cracked corn she stayed away from the group by herself about 50 feet away. This morning she was chased by a larger pullet. She was a few feet away from everyone and all of a sudden a Rhode Island Red Pullet chased her and didn’t stop until Imogen his behind a tree. Imogen avoided the other pullet and went out of her way to go around her after that. Tonight she was at the door do the coop and was kicked out onto the ground. Imogen is a very sweet chicken. I have considered bringing her inside for a while, but I worry about the stress and her mental health. I also worry though about her being injured and vulnerable. I am at a bit of a loss on what to do. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

it seems as though she needs another silkie or smaller breed pullet to be friends with, maybe put her and a nice pullet together for a while until they become friends so that she is not alone, I always get my chooks in pairs so iv never had to deal with this before

it seems as though she needs another silkie or smaller breed pullet to be friends with, maybe put her and a nice pullet together for a while until they become friends so that she is not alone, I always get my chooks in pairs so iv never had to deal with this before
Thank you for the advice. She has grown up with 9 other Silkies. I got them all at the same time and they were only a few days old. Maybe she never made friends though….. I’ll try and see if placing her with one of the other silkies for a while helps. Thank you!

please keep us updated, your welcome
Hi!
I’ve been keeping an eye in her and she has been alone some, but most often she is with the flock now. She is definitely one of the lower chickens in the pecking order and is very timid, but she seems to be doing ok. I trimmed her top knot a short while ago in the hopes it would help her see threats and stay safe. I’m wondering if that also might have helped her with being more a part of the flock…. Maybe her impaired vision with the top knot, it was rather substantial, caused the others to avoid or dislike her…

Hi!
I’ve been keeping an eye in her and she has been alone some, but most often she is with the flock now. She is definitely one of the lower chickens in the pecking order and is very timid, but she seems to be doing ok. I trimmed her top knot a short while ago in the hopes it would help her see threats and stay safe. I’m wondering if that also might have helped her with being more a part of the flock…. Maybe her impaired vision with the top knot, it was rather substantial, caused the others to avoid or dislike her…
thats great to hear

Back
Top Bottom