Silkie pullet or cockerel?

blooming silkie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I have 2 black silkies that look identical and they are around 15 weeks old. Not crowing but pretty aggressive in their behavior. I was wondering if they are cockerels?

First of all, lovely silkies! I keep them myself.

I don't know if the two pictures above are diff or the same silkie, but the one on the bottom I am looking at his tail feathers. The silkie females - in my experience which is limited- have a puff ball of soft feathers for their tales. Males have harder, longer, more normal feathers of a bluey colour.

The second one is a cockerel, and the first one could be either. A side picture of the first one would help. They are gorgeous though! I do think you may possibly have a pair. I did not have my rooster at a young age, but the first one doesn't have hackles as I would expect for a roo that age. The second one does seem to have longer hackles. Does the first one have streamers coming out of it's tophat? Does it often stand that erect, or is it just curious?
_MG_5749.jpg
Here is my girl Lorraine. She pretty much looks the same from month 4 and on in my opinion. Her comb was pronounced young (what you can see of it - her poof is blinding) - and she will stand erect when intrigued.
_MG_5746.jpg
_MG_5837.jpg
My rooster stands much taller lol

Last edited:
Thank you for the input and you have beautiful Silkies yourself! They both have a wrinkly comb starting and both of them have the the blue purple hackles which when in the sun you can see the most beautiful teal color very pronounced color!...They seem to pick on the other silkies alot lately but stay away from my white silkie rooster...so I was wondering if that could be an indication of rooster behavior!

Thank you for the input and you have beautiful Silkies yourself! They both have a wrinkly comb starting and both of them have the the blue purple hackles which when in the sun you can see the most beautiful teal color very pronounced color!...They seem to pick on the other silkies alot lately but stay away from my white silkie rooster...so I was wondering if that could be an indication of rooster behavior!

It could be, but not necessarily. Second one is very likely a cockerel. The first one is harder to tell (IMO). Both are so pretty :love

Back
Top Bottom