Silkie Pullets and broodiness

Ponypoor

Professional Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
My Silkie/Cochin X pullet went all broody so I gave her 4 eggs to sit on, meanwhile my other Silkie decided to be broody at the same time; I tried to stop the Silkie from her broody behaviour but not good. So I tolerated her being broody at the same time as the other hen - just in case the other hen decided 'nope don't want to do this anymore' then I could shove the eggs under the other hen (who was trying to steal eggs!).

Now that the Silkie X has hatched her eggs (yup all 4 - good first time mama!), the other Silkie is deciding that she is going to be a normal hen - finally! How soon can I expect her to start laying? I know that the hen with the chicks likely won't start until her chicks are weaned, but was wondering how soon the other one would start back laying.

With a normal chicken, I would guess between two and four weeks. With a silkie, it might be months.
All three of the Silkie pullets started laying earlier than I read about. 16 or 17 weeks 😳 I was very surprised as I was told they wouldn't start laying until over 6 months.

The silkie x laid first and her sisters the following few weeks...

Well it will be a good break for them, they were laying an egg a day!

All three of the Silkie pullets started laying earlier than I read about. 16 or 17 weeks 😳 I was very surprised as I was told they wouldn't start laying until over 6 months.

The silkie x laid first and her sisters the following few weeks...

Well it will be a good break for them, they were laying an egg a day!
my silkys started laying early also.

With a normal chicken, I would guess between two and four weeks. With a silkie, it might be months.
Here is an update:

My mama hen seamed her chicks at around 9 weeiks, and it was about 3 weeks before she started laying again .

The other broody gal took about 4 weeks to start laying again.

Then a month ago she and the third silkie decided to go broody together, they loved a golf ball between them for about 4 weeks haha silly girls. I made them leave the nest twice a day, they would eat, drink, poop and run back to their golf ball.💖

IMG_20220105_101652.jpg

Back
Top Bottom