Silkie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suechick, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hi everyone, I have a 4 6 week old chicks, one is a white silkie. The others (2 buff orph and 1 RIR) all hop up on a low roost that I set up for them in the coop. But the white silkie just won't go up there. I even built some steps for "her" but she insists on sleeping on the floor. Do silkies need something particular to coax them up on to a roost? Yesterday she got pooped on by one of her sisters. Any suggestions?

Where is the best place to post this question?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my silkes will never roost... no matter what i do... they sleep in one nest box (the largest one) i even have a roost that is small enough in diameter for them and its practically sitting on the ground... they dont use it so it just trips me when i walk into the coop now...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Pick her up and put her on the roost.

4. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Mine didn't roost until they were older.

They have a little roost about three inches off the ground, and they sit on it all the time.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Out of our 30 or so silkies there are only a couple that will roost on a very low roost...about 2-3 inches off the floor of the coop. The rest just lay in silkie piles all over...

6. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    mine silkies.Like to roost in their laying boxes. The roosters tend to use the roost more.

7. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    I have 3 silkies that are approximately 8 weeks old.... for the last 10 days they have been roosting on the 2nd & 3rd levels. I'd been thinking I would need to build them a lower roost because they were always huddled together on the ground .... I was so surprised one morning when I looked in! [​IMG] I think my roosts are about 18 inches off the ground and 18 inches apart (give or take) .... I haven't seen them get up there, but I know it coincided with the cold weather. I think they manage to jump up there to keep warm with the others. Here some pics ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hmmm. Silly chickens.
    So, I guess I should figure out a separate nest spot for her huh. But she'll be all alone, should I get another silkie so she has a buddy?
    I hate the thought of her sleeping in poo! It never gets too cold here, we're in San Diego, our low temps have been in the upper 40's lately so I can't imagine that the temps would get cold enough to make her want to roost if it isn't in her nature.
    what to do... [​IMG]

9. Suechick

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Quote:Sounds fluffy cute. [​IMG]

10. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    mine roost about two foot off the ground. ihave a block they get on then they hop up on the roost. i had to help them for a few days before they got the idea. some will not roost at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by