silkie question

metallica fish

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
the other day i picked up a black silkie trio... im rather new to breeding and dont really know what im looking for when it comes to good quality...

my question is that my cockerel seems to have a huge single comb kinda like a leghorn cockerel (black though)... is this a bad thing?

only paid £30 for the trio though

cheers
liam

I used my single comb Silkie roo to breed to the Cochin Frizzles. Really cute Sizzle chicks!
I would not breed him back to your Silkies either. You want a nice walnut comb for breeding Silkies.

i rung the guy i got him off. and he said the males he got off him and the pullets have had normal combs????

but he said im more than welcome to change it for another

I definalty would not breed him if he has a single comb.. its good that his comb is very dark but silkies should not have single combs.

Considering you stated you paid 30 pounds for the birds is it safe to presume you are not in the states? If so then I would be in search for what the proper Silkie standard is in your country. Most times you can find that info on the internet. Silkies should have a walnut comb here and most every where else that I am aware of.

Look up walnut comb, that should give you and idea of what you should be seeing. If you are not then the breeder is incorrect, he did not sell you a bird with the proper comb.

This is what a proper Silkie comb looks like (in the USA):

blueballs03.jpg

Merlin5.jpg

8367f981.jpg

a little too red on this guy

Regardless of the part of the world you are in (I would guesss Great Britain), silkies should have a walnut comb. In many cases they actually have a modified rose comb rather than a true walnut comb. Nevertheless, they should never have a single comb. Assuming that the other parent has two copies of the genes for walnut comb, all offspring will have walnut combs when bred with a single combed bird. Because single comb is recessive! In hte next generation you will start seeing single combs appear.
It is not the worst fault one can use in breeding, but if possible, should be avoided.

well im going to see him on friday so hopefully will get this sorted out

when i bought the birds off him he gave me 13 eggs from differnt trios of black silkies which i remember deffinatly had walnut combs. and they are in my incubator at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom