Silkie Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Daisyjaye, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Daisyjaye

Daisyjaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Do all Silkie roosters have a pea comb? I got 4 silkies straight run, and 1 has a standard comb and crows so obviously rooster. Then today another one with a pea comb started crowing. I am trying to figure out why they have different combs.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Did you purchase from a hatchery? Every once in a while a breeder may produce a single comb. They should have a walnut comb.

3. Daisyjaye

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Yep they came from Meyer's.

4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You will get several different qualities purchasing from a hatchery. They could have single combs, combs that are too red, 4 toes, etc. etc. I'm not saying that you will not get that from a breeder because we always have pet quality offspring, but you will have an all over lesser quality from a hatchery.

5. Daisyjaye

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Yeah they all have their toes, but the one is way smaller then the others and resembles a gorilla more then a silkie lol. I love them all the same but next time it will be a breeder for them. I am hoping the 2 boys get along. Although the one that crowed first likes to dance for me. [​IMG]

6. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That little dance might be a mating dance [​IMG]

7. Daisyjaye

Jan 21, 2011
    NJ
    Yeah I am pretty sure thats what he is doing. I usually pick him up and carry him around for awhile after that. Not sure what to do with him cause he isnt quite a fiesty as our other roos. He is pretty calm and mild mannered.

8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That is what I do, just pick them up and carry them around with me.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No silkie should have a pea comb, but a walnut comb is the combination of both the pea comb and rose comb genes, so it is possible, especially from a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by