Silkie Question

sasimpson77

Songster
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Hi I am new to Silkies. I just bought 5 19 month old bearded Silkies yesterday there are 4 hens and one Roo. The gentleman I got hem from had kept them in his house. My question is one hen does not seem to be able to see at all she is very inactive and pretty much stays where ever I put her is this because she cannot see or maybe she is not doing well does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have noticed they are not real active and seem to not be able to see because there is so much feathering around there eyes can I trim there feathers around there eyes? I am attaching a couple pictures. The White hen is the one who does not move much at all.

trim back their feathering on the face/ around the beak and eyes and see if it makes a difference. they could also be stressed from being moved. if they haven't been wormed then that could be a good idea as well. check the white hens eyes and make sure they have no clouded over bits like cateracts.

I think we might have the same problem. One our silkies gets around okay but stays right by the other one that can definitely see okay. I was trying to hand feed it one day and it was pecking at the shadow of my hand. Think it needs a trim.:D

I'm having an issue with a silkie hen. Tonight I did my goodnight rounds and noticed one was in the sleeping position but not asleep and trying to get up. At first I thought she couldn't figure out how to get out from under the roosts but when I tried to help her she wouldn't move. The others were walking around as I had just given them a late snack but she just sat there. I checked her vent and it's pretty nasty. As I prodded with a stick I could see her vent dilating. Is it possible maybe she's got an egg stuck? Idk what it could be. I've inly had chickens for a year but never dealt with this. Help please!

Back
Top Bottom