Silkie roo has matured... And very aggressive with mating. Will he calm down?

springchick20

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
West Townsend MA
I have a flock that has been incredibly happy... I have four red comets, two leghorns, two silkie hens, and then three roosters, one older silkie, one small Japanese bantam, and then another silkie male who has just reached the maturity that he is starting to mate. All my hens were fine up until this young silkie started mating. The other two boys are not very successful nor do they try very hard. But my young silkie is so aggressive when it comes to it and he pulls out feathers and grabs their combs. I am just wondering if it's because he is new and he will eventually calm down and not try so hard or if this is going to be the way he is. Anyone else ever have an experience like this? Because if he does not calm down I may have to re-home him which would be a shame.
1f614.png

Grabbing combs is normal mating behavior. Is he tearing them, drawing blood? How receptive are the hens? Are they squatting for him?

They don't squat for him they try to run and he grabs on and drags them. My girls combs are not bleeding. They just seemed stressed... I just didn't know if this is because they don't like him or if it's because he is a different breed or what :/

Back
Top Bottom