Silkie Roo is a real cock

paigeioli

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2016
Tampa, Florida

I'm trying to figure out what is acceptable rooster behavior. Most of the time all is calm,but occasionally he will aggressively peck the hens. Today he basically grabbed the comb of one and dragged her about 10 feet before letting go. No blood drawn on the hens, but he did get a good peck on me when I tried to pick him up. Now I use gloves and a spray bottle. Time of day and mood seem to make a difference. One day he let me grab him and inspect his feet without any cockiness, but other days he's relentlessly herding me like a hen.

The hens don't seem too stressed about him, but they steer clear if he starts to do the sexy dance or bumps into them. Is he ok, average, bad, or good compared to most roosters? I don't know, I didn't expect to have one.

My flock is only 5 months old and the roo was a surprise when I ordered 15 pullets. But as he started to develop roo behavior, he was rough with the girls so they avoided him for about 3-4 weeks. Now he is gentle and the hens are tolerant of him. I have found that he is aggressive toward everyone except me. I like having him though because he seems to guard the girls. I worry about hawks during the day when they free range.

How old is he? Are the girls hens, or pullets his age? There is NO WAY he should be directing your behavior!!! He is behaving normally with the girls, and non of them are injured. He needs an attitude adjustment immediately with you, or things will get ugly soon. You are the giant who brings food, NOT another bird! Walk through him, not around. Make him move away from you at all times. Only pick him up, off the roost, if there's a problem. He should pay attention to possible threats in his environment, offer goodies to his girls, and show off for them. Mary

How old is he? Are the girls hens, or pullets his age? There is NO WAY he should be directing your behavior!!! He is behaving normally with the girls, and non of them are injured. He needs an attitude adjustment immediately with you, or things will get ugly soon. You are the giant who brings food, NOT another bird! Walk through him, not around. Make him move away from you at all times. Only pick him up, off the roost, if there's a problem. He should pay attention to possible threats in his environment, offer goodies to his girls, and show off for them. Mary
^ This.

They're all about the same age, one pullet just started laying this week. It's good to know he's acting normal. The girls love me, they follow me and look for treats. He's always good when I bring the treats. I probably should stop messing with him, it was funny watch the fluff ball spin around when I went to touch him, but now he's a jerk, so I leave him alone and let him know who's boss when I need to. He's always alerting the hens when he finds something good or when there might be danger. They seem ok with him, but sometimes he gets a little too excited, and they don't like that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom