Silkie Roo weird behavior??

BHFarm

Chirping
Oct 25, 2018
Hi all
First post for me but have lurked for a while gaining so much knowledge. :)
I got a silkie roo a week and a half ago and have some questions about his behavior.
When I got him he was sneezing and had a small wheeze after a bath (he was pretty dirty and had lice) so I got him on Tylan which he’s been on for 8 days. During that time he’s lived in the bathroom minus a few days I thought he was getting better so he spent afternoons outside.
Anywho, he stopped going outside since it seemed to set him back again. The wheezing has seemed to stop, sneezing is once in a blue moon but now he has this other weird thing he does with his mouth quite often. I’ve posted a video of it.
He just opens and closes his mouth over and over, not to breathe cause it’s not all the time. Not sure why. Any ideas why he might do this? Part of him being sick? Should I worry?

One more thing, after his crow he has a weird squeak...is that just a young roo learning how to crow and breathe? Lol

The mouth opening and closing is ok? I’ve never seen my hens do it before and since he had been sick I was worried. :)

My silkie rooster make a wierd noise after he is done crowing like he is taking in air all his life and he is 3 so dont quote me on it he should be fine

When I got him he was sneezing and had a small wheeze after a bath (he was pretty dirty and had lice) so I got him on Tylan which he’s been on for 8 days.

Anywho, he stopped going outside since it seemed to set him back again. The wheezing has seemed to stop, sneezing is once in a blue moon but now he has this other weird thing he does with his mouth quite often.
He just opens and closes his mouth over and over,

What dosage of Tylan are you giving him and how are you administering it? Recommended timeline for Tylan is for 5 days.

Did you treat the lice?
You mention going outside seemed to set him back again - what does that mean? He began sneezing, coughing, respiratory distress?

I don't really see anything in the video that alarms me. He is chopping his beak. Has he been eating/drinking before he does that? Just in case, check his crop first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks to make sure it's empty.
The beak clicking could also be anxiety related, if he is being kept inside.

What are your plans for this rooster?

Back
Top Bottom