silkie roos won't stop crowing.......they're still in the living room!

oconnorfamily25

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
In september I purchased a batch of five silkie chicks, and two have turned out to be roosters. The problem is, they don't know how to crow right and keep competing for the food dish with their "crows". One's crowing sounds very high pitched, and the other's is much lower. The noise has gotten terrible, and I want to know how to stop the noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

put them outside
wink.png

You can't, they will crow in the morning as soon as it is light. It will help if you can keep the room dark as long as possible but they are eventually gonna crow. By they way: Been there done that lol. When they start crowing its time for them to be outdoors. I still have some small silkies that I keep inside at night (in a large rubbermaid tub for thier brooder) but they aren't crowing yet.

I have one Silkie who is almost 5 months old and has just recently learned to crow. He will crow every morning at 5:00 a.m. even if it is pitch black out!!! I swear he has a clock in there!

I guess I should just be thankful that he is the only crower...none of the other "suspect" boys crow and I'm thinking it is because he doesn't let them. He is definitely the boss! Also, he very seldom will crow at any other time except first thing in the morning. I'm new to chickens, but I have read a lot of posts on here stating from people saying that their roos crow all day long!

You should definitely move them outside now.

Off with their heads!
lol.png
Sorry, it won't stop. They are roosters, and crowing fighting and mating are what roosters do.

Sounds like it is time to go outside! Out of my 54 chickens I have 14 confirmed crowers... 4 of them are silkies and they don't make nearly the noise my OE boys too. They hatched out in August and are in various levels of crowing. One sounds like someone scratching their finger nails across a chalk board. At least 7 of the boys will be going to feezer camp once they get big enough.

Thanks for all of the great advice. We are currently finishing their coop. (I refuse to put the delicate silkies in with my new hampshire reds, don't want them to get hurt)
smile.png
The crowing has subsided a bit, but they start crowing briefly in the afternoon when we turn on the lights (the hens are not impressed). SILLY ROOS!!!!! But luckily they'll be out of the house by christmas!

Happy Holidays!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom