Silkie Rooster mixed with Red Sex-Link Hen: Fertile, but Viable?

SleepyHollowFnF

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
Endor Villiage, Eastern Ct
I out of curiosity tried incubating some eggs from our large hens that moved in with our silkies a couple months ago on the off chance the little silkie roosters were feeling brave. I was very surprised to see several of them were fertile. But by the time day 21 came and went, no hatching. I waited for four more days and still nothing, so I decided to continue being curious and see what was inside. 2 of the eggs were early quitters with nothing other than a bunch of yolk. One of them had turned green and there was a blackened mass of chick shaped moosh.

The last remaining one though had a nearly fully formed chick in it. I was really sad to see this because it looked like it had been so close to getting out. Unfortunately it looked extremely cramped in the shell (in my opinion). I'm not sure how it died, but I was even more interested by the fact that it seemingly had the silkie extra toe on the foot. Does anyone have experience with silkie hybrids? Do you think this chick, and ones that are in the incubator now could have had / would have a chance at surviving and hatching?

Im attaching a picture in hopes of getting any info in regards to cause of death / stage of death and or guesses on viability of these hybrid chicks.
Also any ideas on what to expect form hybrid chicks. This one looks like a silkie to me. Could I expect giant silkies from the cross?

Thanks!

I out of curiosity tried incubating some eggs from our large hens that moved in with our silkies a couple months ago on the off chance the little silkie roosters were feeling brave. I was very surprised to see several of them were fertile. But by the time day 21 came and went, no hatching. I waited for four more days and still nothing, so I decided to continue being curious and see what was inside. 2 of the eggs were early quitters with nothing other than a bunch of yolk. One of them had turned green and there was a blackened mass of chick shaped moosh.

The last remaining one though had a nearly fully formed chick in it. I was really sad to see this because it looked like it had been so close to getting out. Unfortunately it looked extremely cramped in the shell (in my opinion). I'm not sure how it died, but I was even more interested by the fact that it seemingly had the silkie extra toe on the foot. Does anyone have experience with silkie hybrids? Do you think this chick, and ones that are in the incubator now could have had / would have a chance at surviving and hatching?

Im attaching a picture in hopes of getting any info in regards to cause of death / stage of death and or guesses on viability of these hybrid chicks.
Also any ideas on what to expect form hybrid chicks. This one looks like a silkie to me. Could I expect giant silkies from the cross?

Thanks!
I too have a silkie rooster that has bred my sexlink hen. I’ve been trying to have a success on the hatching. She’s laid probably 2 dozen eggs and all of them are viable embros. I have had the soup & undeveloped, this last one actually broke the egg and was breathing for 5min.

Attachments

• BA442D84-D319-4517-8D4C-0F7C46F56833.jpeg
    BA442D84-D319-4517-8D4C-0F7C46F56833.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 62538A68-06DA-48BC-975C-3368D607C5CD.jpeg
    62538A68-06DA-48BC-975C-3368D607C5CD.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 098F2C03-E2FD-448D-A0EB-4347B1B1E52B.jpeg
    098F2C03-E2FD-448D-A0EB-4347B1B1E52B.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 15
  • 77C5CAA0-1C80-40FC-83E9-4674F4E6B4B8.jpeg
    77C5CAA0-1C80-40FC-83E9-4674F4E6B4B8.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
  • F8B2B30B-E5A8-4EFB-B40E-0877F8574296.jpeg
    F8B2B30B-E5A8-4EFB-B40E-0877F8574296.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 22
I don't know why it wouldn't be viable, unless there's something weird going on with sex-links. Maybe there is, if there's already someone else who's has problems with the cross.

Silkies cross just fine with other chickens afaik, I have a hatch from a mixed silkie/polish flock and it's fascinating the different combinations there are between skin colour, toes, toe feathers, and polish crest among the chicks.

Thanks!
I just hatched one. Dad is a silkie mom is most likely my golden comet, but could be an isa brown. I had a broody oeg that I gave a couple eggs. One made it one didnt. The babies doing really well so far. Silkie feet and comb, but pink skin

Attachments

• 50D76478-8934-41E0-B107-277E93213CCF.jpeg
    50D76478-8934-41E0-B107-277E93213CCF.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 21
Cute chick! I just set some silkie cross eggs, silkie roo, standard females, including an F2 redsexlink. Can't wait to see how they turn out. :)

I totally didnt know that silkies had extra toes. I'm sorry for your loss. It's extra hard when they look fully developed. :(

Back
Top Bottom