silkie rooster seizure?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crickett, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Something's wrong with my silkie rooster. He will suddenly turn his head sideways, then spin in a circle and flop on the ground. He does it several times a day. Afterwards he walks and eats normally. Is it a seizure of some type? The local vet only treats cats and dogs, and doesn't do chickens. Can any of y'all help?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Silkies sometimes have neurological problems...many try vitamins (they are predisposed to wry neck/crookneck due to their open skull structure with the large crested ones). There are often tales of silkies walking in circles, walking backwards, etc. on BYC.

Of course the brain swelling can be caused by infection, vitamin deficiencies, injury (was he recently pecked by another chicken) and so on.

It is quite possible that it is a seizure. Unfortunately I don't know how to help or give advice on that if that is the case.

If he were my chicken I'd try vitamins to see if it helped but also make sure he isn't being bullied.

For more info. on silkie skulls, you can go to browneggblueegg.com and look at their article on silkie skulls if needed. They also have an article on crookneck (wry neck) which details medical treatment for that, including doses of vitamins.

Of course I don't think it is wry neck since he doesn't have a wry neck, but am thinking the information may be useful to you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    :( Hope you figure something out! I'd be worried about passing on the gene to chicks, but I'm not sure how chicken breeding works. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I started giving the chickies some vitamins today. I did notiisce that my BB rooster is picking on him. I think Pip wants Gloria for himself and is willing to fight for her. That may be what's going on with Mr.Fuzzybottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by