Silkie Rooster sore foot. Base of spurs, one is more bulgy, one is flat

bigboy18

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
Its difficult to get both feet pictured at same time, but basically the start of the spur at the bottom of his foot is more bulgy than the other foot/spur, which is flatter. I can tell he is a bit ginger walking on his feet at times, was a bit reluctant to go on his roost bar last night. Can anyone please give me advice in this that does not include twisting off the spur. thx
silkiel.jpg

Its difficult to get both feet pictured at same time, but basically the start of the spur at the bottom of his foot is more bulgy than the other foot/spur, which is flatter. I can tell he is a bit ginger walking on his feet at times, was a bit reluctant to go on his roost bar last night. Can anyone please give me advice in this that does not include twisting off the spur. thx
View attachment 3651947
We have a silkie whose spurs point inward, so as they get that long, he starts cutting his legs. We bring him in and have a little bowl of flour ready. Hubby takes a wire cutter and snips a tiny bit at a time many times. He uses a metal file to smooth them out. This is about every 5-6 months is all. He's made it bleed a couple times but we just put flour on it and it stops it.

The spur is cracked at the base and both are overgrown/too long. This is likely painful for him.
Both spurs need to be trimmed.
A Dremel works well and will cauterize at it cuts.

Looks like he also has Scaly Leg Mites. Slather vaseline or NuStock cream onto his legs/feet working it up and underneath the scales of the toes and legs.
Since he's feather footed, it may be more difficult to treat the SLM, so you can use Ivermectin to treat him. Dosing can be found HERE. I would still apply vaseline or NuStock to help heal the skin.

1696478483652.png

The spur is cracked at the base and both are overgrown/too long. This is likely painful for him.
Both spurs need to be trimmed.
A Dremel works well and will cauterize at it cuts.

Looks like he also has Scaly Leg Mites. Slather vaseline or NuStock cream onto his legs/feet working it up and underneath the scales of the toes and legs.
Since he's feather footed, it may be more difficult to treat the SLM, so you can use Ivermectin to treat him. Dosing can be found HERE. I would still apply vaseline or NuStock to help heal the skin.

View attachment 3652230
thanks. is there anything i can do or should be worried about the cracked spur at the base?

Back
Top Bottom