Silkie seriously ill. Please respond.

chickenriot

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Brownsboro, Tx.
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie, 4 months weight unknown
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is fluffed up, clicking her beak, listless, holding her wings away from her body. (inside temp in the 70's) Her head is droopy and every so often she "wakes up" and looks around. Right now, she has her neck stretched out and is looking at the window in the room. She is still clicking her beak.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I'm thinking she may have gotten chilled when the first cold front came through. ( mid 40's at night and early morning) There is no supplementary heat in the coop and all the silkies appeared to be fluffed up but were active.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ( she drank some water about an hour ago, not eating ) I tried to get her to eat by holding a piece of oil soaked wheat bread in front of her and she bit at it and ate a small amount. I also have scrambled an egg and placed it in the pen. She has starter/grower crumbles available.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. runny
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have Corid in her drinking water since most people try that first and just gave her a couple of drops of Poly Vi Sol (no iron) We treated her for mites a couple of days ago. (Sevin dust) We did not observe any mites or lice when we inspected her but with her thick feathering we wanted to be sure.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: pine chips and shavings

Right now she is standing in the corner of the pen huddled up. She is still alert to her surroundings. I've been watching to see if she will poop again to see if there is any change. I started the Corid yesterday.

The only antibiotic I have on hand is LS-50 if she has some type of infection. I have kept ACV in their water since they were 2 days old.

I have another silkie female in the pen with her for company.

Last edited:
Corid is for Cocci, does she have any blood in her stools? If not, then I wouldn't recommend giving her Corid. She may have gotten chilled. Have you wormed her? Does she have a runny nose or any type of discharge from her nose or eyes? Do you see any tiny bubbles in her eyes?

Is there anyway you can provide any extra heat for her, and a dark place?

Thank you for replying.

Her eyes look clear and there is no discharge from her beak.

I have her in a bedroom now and can darken the room if needed. I actually have had the blinds partially open to let filtered light in and only turned on the overhead light when I was trying to get her to eat . I can go to the coop and get a heat light if I need to.

I only went with the Corid first because a few longtime members recommended it to someone whose bird had similar symptoms . I have not seen any evidence of bloody poop but someone on here said that it doesn't have to be bloody to be cocci. She's only 4 months old so I wasn't sure if I should try to worm her or not. I have some Wazine.

Right now, she is walking around in the pen and pecking at some blueberry bagel crumbles with olive oil but she usually has active spurts then starts huddling and looking sleepy again.

I spent all day and part of the night yesterday combing the archives for similar situations but didn't find the exact symptoms.

Could an impacted crop have the type problems she is exhibiting ? I have sprinkled hen scratch on the ground periodically for the chickens and I'm not sure if she has been eating grit or not. We have fine, sandy soil here.

Last edited:
I've been trying to feed her scrambled eggs with yogurt and she just ignores it. I have the Stoneyfield yogurt because I read it is the best. Maybe I should just stick some yogurt under her beak and see if she'll peck it.

I just stuck some peanut butter under her beak and she pecked at it but didn't eat any. After she pecked at it she wiped her beak on the floor of the pen then started her little beak clicking.

She's pecking at her shadow on the floor now.

I did put a 60 watt heat light in the corner and she seemed to become a little more active but still stops frequently and acts sleepy.

Last edited:
does she have a smell? can you rub her crop gently, see if its full and check for odor? if an odor occurs its probably sour crop. You can give her 1/4 tsp of cider vinegar in a dropper. and see if she perks up.

keep me posted!

Why are you giving her oil? Does her crop feel full and hard?

If not then I wouldn't give her oil. They usually like yogurt (which isn't going to hurt) and eggs are good if she isn't eating her feed. That will at least give her protein.

If she has been outside, especially on dirt, then she could have worms. I've read on here some people worming their chicks before they start to lay.

Good luck. Hope she is ok:fl

Oh and yes an impacted crop can have those symptoms!! My silkie has been sick, and I spoke with the breeder and she told me silkies are "very dramatic" LOL, most everything will make them stumbly and tired.

Quote:
No smell other than the Poly vi Sol vitamins. Her crop has a small amount of food in it so it is soft but not full because of her lack of appetite.

Quote:
She doesn't seem to have any appetite at all. That's why I gave her the oil and wheat bread because that was all she would eat. I thought all the oil and bread would do is help clean her crop if something is stuck. I've been trying everything I can to see if she will eat. i'll go get some yogurt and see if maybe she will peck it off my finger.

Just now she lay down under the light then got up and walked to the middle of the pen. She's still acting listless.

Back
Top Bottom