silkie sexing

I'm still very confused as to whether this is a male or female silkie. Help would be great. He/she is going on 7 months.

Based on coloring I'd think it's a male (red on wings and chest) but it doesn't have much of a comb for 7 months old. Has it crowed? Is it with other males? I can see why you are confused.

My silkies are about 25 weeks old, partridge is definitely a roo, but still not 100% about the gray. No eggs yet of course, but he/she has not crowed, I have also seen him/her copy the "shuffle" the partridge roo does. Any ideas?

Last edited:
These are my 3 silkies! Im pretty sure we've got a female on the left, who is around 12-13 weeks, and 2 males on the right who are around 9-11 weeks old.

are my guesses way off??

Is my silkie a cockerel or a pullet? I was told "he" is 5 months old and I bought the 2 as a pair. I don't know if he's just very slow to mature or unsure of his surroundings, but he has not crowed at all. He hasn't even made many roostery noises. I'm not sure when silkie boys spurs get noticeably large, but he has no spurs. His comb is also the same size as the pullet I bought with him. The others she had were very boyish, but my gut keeps saying he is actually a SHE!

He is the one on the right. Is he actually a pullet? I really wanted a cockerel! Lol

Edited to add note: I just gave them a hair trim before a took the second photo, they were having a little trouble seeing I think.

Last edited:
Those both look girl to me. Pretty birds!
Is my silkie a cockerel or a pullet? I was told "he" is 5 months old and I bought the 2 as a pair. I don't know if he's just very slow to mature or unsure of his surroundings, but he has not crowed at all. He hasn't even made many roostery noises. I'm not sure when silkie boys spurs get noticeably large, but he has no spurs. His comb is also the same size as the pullet I bought with him. The others she had were very boyish, but my gut keeps saying he is actually a SHE!

He is the one on the right. Is he actually a pullet? I really wanted a cockerel! Lol

Edited to add note: I just gave them a hair trim before a took the second photo, they were having a little trouble seeing I think.

Those both look girl to me. Pretty birds!

Oh drats!!! I wanted a boy of this color... I think this one may keep me guessing until he/she either crows or lays an egg. Both have incredibly tiny combs.. I measured both pelvic bones and the one I know is a girl, measures 2 finger widths apart, the other is about 1.. Granted I do have small hands and fingers...oh well I guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and see...
Thanks for your input!!

These are my 3 silkies! Im pretty sure we've got a female on the left, who is around 12-13 weeks, and 2 males on the right who are around 9-11 weeks old.

are my guesses way off??

Might be too young to tell. Is there any way you can get a picture of their combs? You can't really see them in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom