silkie sexing

Pics
I have a two-month-old silkie from show-quality parents who's convinced me he's male based on behavior. He stands more upright than the rest of the chicks -- pet silkies and pullets for eggs, spends a lot of time watching outside the chicken yard fence while the pullets and other silkies forage, is often followed around by the five-week-old white silkie, and warns the other chicks if he hears sounds he doesn't like. The other day a songbird was loudly scolding something and that upset him. He stood up as tall as he could get, and let out a sound I haven't heard any other chick make and the silkies stopped what they were doing to immediately run for the coop. The egglayers basically ignore the silkies, so nothing he does phases them. Here's a couple of pictures of him. He doesn't like holding still, so these are the best I could get.

Typical way he stands, although here he's back on his haunches more than he usually is when roaming around the chicken yard.

Best comb shot I could get. There's really not much to show.

Crest shot. He didn't really want to face sideways.

Last edited:
I have a two-month-old silkie from show-quality parents who's convinced me he's male based on behavior. He stands more upright than the rest of the chicks -- pet silkies and pullets for eggs, spends a lot of time watching outside the chicken yard fence while the pullets and other silkies forage, is often followed around by the five-week-old white silkie, and warns the other chicks if he hears sounds he doesn't like. The other day a songbird was loudly scolding something and that upset him. He stood up as tall as he could get, and let out a sound I haven't heard any other chick make and the silkies stopped what they were doing to immediately run for the coop. The egglayers basically ignore the silkies, so nothing he does phases them. Here's a couple of pictures of him. He doesn't like holding still, so these are the best I could get.

Typical way he stands, although here he's back on his haunches more than he usually is when roaming around the chicken yard.

Best comb shot I could get. There's really not much to show.

Crest shot. He didn't really want to face sideways.
Whatever he ends up being he's going to be pretty! He looks typey, nice chest. As far as gender, his comb isn't revealing much. It could spontaneously get larger all of a sudden or it could stay small like that forever and he could be a hen. From what you said of his behavior it could be a boy, but I have several hens who stands like yours does in the first picture all the time. I bet in a couple weeks his gender will start to be revealed, but right now I can't really tell you.

Any ideas on the sex of my new black silkie?

Whatever he ends up being he's going to be pretty! He looks typey, nice chest. As far as gender, his comb isn't revealing much. It could spontaneously get larger all of a sudden or it could stay small like that forever and he could be a hen. From what you said of his behavior it could be a boy, but I have several hens who stands like yours does in the first picture all the time. I bet in a couple weeks his gender will start to be revealed, but right now I can't really tell you.

Thanks! He is a beautiful bird and in the couple of days since I took the pictures that poof on his head has grown and his beard is filling out. Hopefully that comb will start revealing something.
wink.png
He is turning a nice dark grey shade, but he started out looking just like a partridge chick. We have another one in the brooder who looks partridge, but the breeder doesn't raise that color, so I assume it's going to be a blue, too. The kids also chose three other blues. My thirteen-year-old son wants to breed, so if the blues don't turn out to all be the same gender, we're going to be up to our ears in black, blue and splash chicks.

Back
Top Bottom