silkie sexing

Pics
Thank you for replying. Nugget is very docile and doesn't act roo-like at all. I see what you mean about the neck posture. I actually don't see this behavior much and Nugget doesn't seem to stand tall either. I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part. Now Wookie (sizzle, about 14 weeks) stands tall and is always alerting the others, inculding Nugget, when our Roo is on the prowl. I think Wookie is a roo based on behavior and a prominent comb. What are your thoughts?

Yes Wookie is a BOY Look at that big bright red comb & wattles! As for Nugget I'm not convinced that's a he ... Can not see the comb in your pictures... Can you post a few more straight on face shots???

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. Nugget is very docile and doesn't act roo-like at all. I see what you mean about the neck posture. I actually don't see this behavior much and Nugget doesn't seem to stand tall either. I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part. Now Wookie (sizzle, about 14 weeks) stands tall and is always alerting the others, inculding Nugget, when our Roo is on the prowl. I think Wookie is a roo based on behavior and a prominent comb. What are your thoughts?
Yes, Wookie is definitely a boy, and comparing them, Nugget seems "girlie". I think at this point, behavior is more of a clue than looks. They make a cute couple :)

Help!! My daughter is driving me nuts wanting to name our new silkies. Can anyone here tell me the sex?

Hi here is my 7 month old silkie. Not laying or crowing yet. Can you tell me the sex please?
[/IMG]

I also have this 4 week old white silkie. It has what feels like some spiny feathers growing. Any guesses as to hen or roo?

Last edited:
Hi here is my 7 month old silkie. Not laying or crowing yet. Can you tell me the sex please?
[/URL]

I also have this 4 week old white silkie. It has what feels like some spiny feathers growing. Any guesses as to hen or roo?
I believe he is a cockerel. He has a prominent comb (which doesn't mean it's a boy, I've seen plenty of pullets with some bigger combs), and even though I can't say if I see streamers for sure, it looks like he may have hackles coming in. My bet is on boy. The white is much too young to tell.

Thanks for confirming Wookie as a little roo. Nugget is definitely trying to keep this secret! I tried to 'slick' back Nugget's top hat to expose the little comb. Hopefully the pics help.

Yes, Nugget does have a crooked beak! It adds character, right?!

Back
Top Bottom