silkie sexing

Hello All,

New to chickens and to the forum, but looking for help/confirmation. Happy owner of 3 silkie chicks, roughly almost 3 months old now. I am pretty sure that the porcelain (?) color is a roo based upon behavior and sounds, but would like to hear thoughts from tose with more experience. Behaviour: bossiest of the bunch by far, also the bravest when comes to exploring new areas or the yard or pen. Walks very upright and recently when voiced a protest over being picked up, released a very deep baritone sound - especially compared to my 2 white silkies who are still very soprano and quite submissive to the porcelain.
(Is porcelain correct color name? has cream, gray, silver and some russet?) Absolutely beautiful bird with the coloring, stance and very large clear dark eyes, my "prettiest" lol, but will be looking to re-home him if a roo as can't have the noise per my zoning (and neighbors)....

photos below and thanks for your help!

Thanks, what about this 2 month old? It's got a cross beak and is missing an eye, but growing quite well.

Hello All, New to chickens and to the forum, but looking for help/confirmation. Happy owner of 3 silkie chicks, roughly almost 3 months old now. I am pretty sure that the porcelain (?) color is a roo based upon behavior and sounds, but would like to hear thoughts from tose with more experience. Behaviour: bossiest of the bunch by far, also the bravest when comes to exploring new areas or the yard or pen. Walks very upright and recently when voiced a protest over being picked up, released a very deep baritone sound - especially compared to my 2 white silkies who are still very soprano and quite submissive to the porcelain. (Is porcelain correct color name? has cream, gray, silver and some russet?) Absolutely beautiful bird with the coloring, stance and very large clear dark eyes, my "prettiest" lol, but will be looking to re-home him if a roo as can't have the noise per my zoning (and neighbors).... photos below and thanks for your help!
With the red leakage on the wings it looks to certainly be a roo

I have 5 grow outs born July 4-9th. At this point, I'm thinking that all 5 are starting to look like cockerels. I've even had a couple of breeders that are fairly certain at least 3 or 4 are.
This is one that I'm still holding out hope for. Opinions?

Here are the others that are looking like Roos. Do you agree? I know it's early, but some of them seem pretty obvious....
Two breeders have said the white one is definitely a roo, but I'm not convinced.

I have 5 grow outs born July 4-9th. At this point, I'm thinking that all 5 are starting to look like cockerels. I've even had a couple of breeders that are fairly certain at least 3 or 4 are.
This is one that I'm still holding out hope for. Opinions?

Here are the others that are looking like Roos. Do you agree? I know it's early, but some of them seem pretty obvious....
Two breeders have said the white one is definitely a roo, but I'm not convinced.

i'm not sure but the partrage and the last one look like cockerels and the white one is a maybe but i think its a pullet

Back
Top Bottom