silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by squeak1387, Oct 20, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    i have no idea how to tell my silkies apart. they are both about 6 months old, on may be a little bit older, but neither are laying yet. so i took some photos to hopefully clear up my questions.

this one i think is a girl, but my b/f thinks is a boy (mainly cause it fought with a game roo today) this one is also a bit bigger than the other one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this one i think is a boy, due to the lack of poof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    First one is a girl, second a boy. Pretty sure.
    Girls can fight just as much as boys. [​IMG]

3. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    yep for sure some of the hens are more vicious then rosters but if 1 has a comb then its most likely a rooster

4. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    neither one really has a comb. both are pretty flat, but you can see it a little more with the black one

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The hens tend to have a uniform "helmet" of fuzz... the boys look like they've slicked their "fur" back on the heads, and get long shiny streamers in their topknots. [​IMG] But the comb is hardly noticeable in girls (though I have a couple that are fairly prominent now that they're older) and the boys are very prominent.

6. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    First is definately a girl but I'm not sure about the second one. It could go either way.

Just a warning to never assume based on looks! I had a blue/black silkie I was almost sure was a roo. It was chasing the others and everything. I ended up giving it back to the hatchery and when I went back to get pullets he said it was a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by