1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Sexing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TexasLady, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    I just recently purchased a batch of Silkies from a hatchery. Frankly, I would not have done that, but I wanted them for hatching hens. (I purchased five or so last year for the same, and true to form, they are already setting eggs.) I just don't think there are any birds that set eggs as dependably as Silkies, and they hatch more than I manage to hatch.

Well, the new babies are growing wing feathers, and I feel fairly sure that some with longer wing feathers are females. However, I also feel sure that I don't know for sure who is female and who is male. (I plan on selling the males since I do not want to raise hatchery Silkies--never have gotten any that were quality.)

Can anyone tell me how to tell which are cockerels? I can usually tell about the time they start crowing (if I catch them), but I do not want the hatchery Silkie roos breeding my Spitzhauben hens (who would never stoop to being a mama and wouldn't consider setting eggs).

Thanks for any input. I hate to add any breeding age males to my pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by