silkie still walking backwards

mightymax

Songster
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Coast, CA
Thanks to all of you that showed interest into why my hen was walking backwards and appeared to becoming paralyzed. She has been in the house for the past three or 4 days and with regular trips outside, she is talking very small movements forwards although backwards still seems to be her favored mode of transportation...lol.
Quote: Maybe after this weekend and some much tlc, we can reintroduce her to the main flock again. wish us luck

I noticed your post yesterday so I looked up your original thread on your poor Silkie and posted there. It sounds like your chicken has Wry Neck, which Silkies are prone to experience. For some Silkies it can be a reoccurring problem, but rest and treatment can help. Here is a link to treatment options. If you scroll down to the middle of the list you will find the section on Wry Neck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/517234/medical-treatments-recommended-by-bycers#post_6580204

When my silkies started walking backward it was defiantly the beginning of wry neck. I've had four cases with my silkies and luckily was able to completely cure three using the Alan standards treatment for wry neck. I swear by this treatment. Go to the Web site brown egg blue egg.com and in the searches you will see crook neck.click on crook neck and ALL the details and specifics of the treatment is their. It takes about a month for complete healing.basically the treatment consists of vitamin E small amount of selenium to help the bird absorb the E, vitamin B,liquid children's vitamin called pollyvisol without iron and prednisone. The doses and schedules you will find on brown egg blue egg.com.it is common for silkies to get wry neck. I now supplement them with a vitamin powder that has vitamin A D and E in it to help prevent the wry neck. Most of the time it CAN be cured with patience and supportive treatment. It can return so once healed I recommend a good multi vitamin.as I said it takes about a month to fully heal so don't give up. I have had great success with this treatment. Best wishes And hope this helps.
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f424.png
1f424.png

I agree with the other two posters-- this may be the beginnings of wry neck or a neurological problem. I'd get some vitamins, and start giving her some.

Back
Top Bottom