Silkie stumbles backward and falls over

Oh no, I hope it isn’t Mereks. Has she been vaccinated for Mereks? Have you had any new chickens join the flock in the last couple weeks?
No, she wasn't vaccinated. Her and the 4 others she came with were the newest members. We got them a couple months ago.

No, she wasn't vaccinated. Her and the 4 others she came with were the newest members. We got them a couple months ago.
Well it seems like she would have shown symptoms before now if she had caught Mereks at her previous owner.
Is she outside and hot? Maybe since her mouth is open you could try to give her vitamin water with an eye dropper.

Well it seems like she would have shown symptoms before now if she had caught Mereks at her previous owner.
Is she outside and hot? Maybe since her mouth is open you could try to give her vitamin water with an eye dropper.
I have her inside in the AC. I have been giving her vitamin b, e, and selenium I have been feeding her mushy food and egg 4 times a day. She is getting more lethargic and isnt awake enough to eat the food, so she only eats if I put it in her mouth. I don't know what to do, I really don't wanna lose her.

I have her inside in the AC. I have been giving her vitamin b, e, and selenium I have been feeding her mushy food and egg 4 times a day. She is getting more lethargic and isnt awake enough to eat the food, so she only eats if I put it in her mouth. I don't know what to do, I really don't wanna lose her.
I feel really bad for you! I know how I’d feel if my little guy was so sick. It really sounds like Mereks to me, but I think the incubation is only 2 weeks? Maybe it’s Coccidiosis.
What does her poop look like?

I feel really bad for you! I know how I’d feel if my little guy was so sick. It really sounds like Mereks to me, but I think the incubation is only 2 weeks? Maybe it’s Coccidiosis.
What does her poop look like?

Attachments

• 20200908_195719.jpg
    20200908_195719.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 3
I am not sure that anyone can help at this point. Sorry that you are dealing with her illness. She is at the right age for Mareks disease. It is best diagnosed wither with a blood serum test through a lab such as Vetdna.com or with a necropsy and testing performed by your state poultry lab. Where are you located? If you lose her, keep her body cold in a cooler on ice, but don’t refrigerate. Send her body or better, take it in to your state vet M-F. Here is a list of state poultry vets who can perform testing and necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Here is a link for dna testing for Mareks:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Her crop always has some stuff in it, but isn't all the way full because after a bit she will get sleepy and not eat anymore. This is my girl, Bubbles.
I'm sorry she's not improving.
I think you are doing what you can for her.
The only thing I see you mention is that her crop always has some stuff in it - is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

Back
Top Bottom