Silkie taking Corid with possible wry neck

ZeeuwR

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Can someone please tell me if it is safe to give vitamins during a course of Corid? I am on day 3 of 5, and one of my Silkie chicks has started head shaking. Is it safe to wait until the 5 day course of treatment is finished before starting vitamins? Should I give the vitamins now along with the Corid? Or should I discontinue the corid and treat start vitamins right away?

Can someone please tell me if it is safe to give vitamins during a course of Corid? I am on day 3 of 5, and one of my Silkie chicks has started head shaking. Is it safe to wait until the 5 day course of treatment is finished before starting vitamins? Should I give the vitamins now along with the Corid? Or should I discontinue the corid and treat start vitamins right away?
Welcome To BYC

Are you chicks showing symptoms of Coccidiosis?
What do you normally feed?
Can you please post some photos of the chicks and their poop?

A video of their actions may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

You mention head shaking - do you feel it's neurological or could they have lice/mites, ear infection, etc.?

Generally you do not want to give extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) when treating with Corid (amprolium).

Plumb's Vet Drug Manual has this notation in the contraindications section under Amprolium --- "excessive thiamine in the diet can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug"
I have found nothing defines "excessive" - so for me, I would not give additional vitamin B1 (Thiamine) while using Amprolium.

Welcome To BYC

Are you chicks showing symptoms of Coccidiosis?
What do you normally feed?
Can you please post some photos of the chicks and their poop?

A video of their actions may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

You mention head shaking - do you feel it's neurological or could they have lice/mites, ear infection, etc.?

Generally you do not want to give extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) when treating with Corid (amprolium).

Plumb's Vet Drug Manual has this notation in the contraindications section under Amprolium --- "excessive thiamine in the diet can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug"
I have found nothing defines "excessive" - so for me, I would not give additional vitamin B1 (Thiamine) while using Amprolium.

Here is a link to the video of the head shake. This is a picture of the poop pretreatment. It is day 4 of the corid, and it is mostly looking normal now.

Attachments

• 20200527_160056.jpg
    20200527_160056.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 16
I thought we were not getting anymore of these poops, but this one just happened.

I gave them a scrambled egg with added vitamin E, I have not been able to find selenium yet at our local stores.

I have not noticed any other chicks with this issue. They are on pine shavings over puppy pads, so it's possible there are some mites in the shavings, but I have not physically seen any. I have 7 silkies and 6 Polish, they are about 2-3 weeks old. They are eating a non medicated feed Blue Seal Home Fresh multi flock crumbles. This was the recommended non med feed at the feed store.

Attachments

• 20200527_161711.jpg
    20200527_161711.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 16
I gave them a scrambled egg with added vitamin E, I have not been able to find selenium yet at our local stores.
The egg has sufficient Selenium, you do not need to find Selenium - just give them a little egg daily.

I would give each chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

You are on day 4 of Corid. I would finish out day 5 and stop.

The egg has sufficient Selenium, you do not need to find Selenium - just give them a little egg daily.

I would give each chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

You are on day 4 of Corid. I would finish out day 5 and stop.

So, after finishing the Corid, I started nutri drench which pretty quickly gave most of my chicks diarrhea. The head shaking did not resolve, however it also did not get worse. Im fairly confident this is not the start of wry neck, but something else.

On the flip side of this, I'm still getting these foamy poops! I'm starting to wonder if this is due to the protein content being too high for them. I use Blue Seal multi flock starter crumbles which I found out contains 22% protein.

Everyone is acting healthy with the exception of the one chick shaking her head. All of my old school farmer friends think im crazy for even treating with Corid. Am I just over thinking all of this?

Attachments

• 20200604_144320.jpg
    20200604_144320.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 12
when it's our babies we all over think things, take a moment, breathe and relax they will be fine. My 3 week Faverolle has wry neck I am on day 4 of treatment and on wed he would not drink at all no matter what i did. However, i was making a wet mash from his feed and water added scramble eggs and made sure it was very wet and moist. Every morning I would squeeze vitamin e pill on top of mash in a spoon and he eats it like crazy. Someone responded to my post saying add lots of water to mash I now add vitamin b complex water to the mash instead of just water. He is thriving but no changes with the Wry. I feed 5 times a day. Hope your baby gets better soon.

when it's our babies we all over think things, take a moment, breathe and relax they will be fine. My 3 week Faverolle has wry neck I am on day 4 of treatment and on wed he would not drink at all no matter what i did. However, i was making a wet mash from his feed and water added scramble eggs and made sure it was very wet and moist. Every morning I would squeeze vitamin e pill on top of mash in a spoon and he eats it like crazy. Someone responded to my post saying add lots of water to mash I now add vitamin b complex water to the mash instead of just water. He is thriving but no changes with the Wry. I feed 5 times a day. Hope your baby gets better soon.

Thank you. I hope you see some improvement soon.

Back
Top Bottom