Silkie thread!

Time for pics!!

6.5 month old cockerel

almost five month old pullets

Young cockerel I'm growing out Please excuse the feet - apparently I need to make booties.

Pullet again
droolin.gif
love.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif
OMG!!! I LOVE THEM!!! where did you get them from???

Showgirls were originally a cross between a naked neck Turken and a Silkie. What you see nowadays, hopefully, are many generations away from the originals, that are now called "Showgirls".  And yes, even the boys of the breed are called Showgirls! ;)

Thank you! That clears it up I was also wondering if they call the boys Show girls ha ha.

Did they look like this??  I hatched these out yesterday.  Since you mentioned them~thought I would show them off.  I like the ones with muffs too.  I have one with both the muff and the bow tie outside.  Only one hatched yesterday with a bow tie, no muff..the other has neither.  Fun babies.

One is white, I think the other is buff, with the bow tie
       Pretty different from the Silkies!

There so cute, the ones I saw weren't bare that far down that I could tell maybe bow tie? Of course im looking down on them in a big rubber tub and no touching they were so tiny. I'm going to go by there today and if the gal that had them on hold didn't pick them up I'm going to get them if there pullets. Thanks for sharing yours are adorable. :)

Quote: The first Silkie is out! 2 more have pipped! 3 LF Favs have pipped also.
I have 3 whites, 2 with vaulted skulls, 4 weeks old, that I am going to be letting go in the next couple of weeks. I want to just deal with BBS for now. I will also see what this hatch brings, but I probably will be waiting until I know if they are Cockerels or pullets before I will be parting with any if you are wanting any BBS. :)

Last edited:
Hello everybody I got two silkies Saturday to use as broodys. They are 2 and a half months old. When will they go broody? I realize this all a hormonal thing that makes them go broody but I just want the age most start. Thank you.

Quote:
Well, all I can go by is the birds I have here. I believe, since these are my first ever broodies, so I may be wrong, but they need to be laying first before the broody desire kicks in. Mine starting laying at right around 5 months old. They laid for about 4 months, then all of a sudden one went broody. I guess that seemed like a good idea to the rest of them, as then they ALL went broody!! Seven broody pullets, not an egg to be had. But now, I have chicks EVERYWHERE! At 2 1/2 months, are you sure you have pullets?? If they turn out to be cockerels, there isn't going to be any broodies for you.

Inexperienced me - I'm voting boy on every single one of those darlings - based on those combs.
hide.gif
Or maybe Silkies in Australia have bigger combs???
idunno.gif
(Maybe number 4 is female. Maybe ???? )
I'm thinking 1) girl 2)boy 3)boy 4)girl 5) boy 6) girl
big_smile.png
mine are also about this age! AND I am NOT a professional nor do I play one on TV
lau.gif
so your guess is as good as mine :).... only one of mine has a very large comb and only one has no comb...and the rest are in-between ;) I think some are hard to sex even at 8-9 months

Back
Top Bottom