Silkie thread!

:highfive: Rowdy runts!
C80121FF-46D4-436F-9A31-0A8C031A3214.jpeg

They are so pretty! Shavings I see you use, is it better than straw?
i prefer the shaving to straw, tractor supply usually runs a sale on it. It covers a lot of area as my coops and run is pretty big. Just make sure to get shavings that are not toxic to animals. I still use straw in my hen boxes.

Aspen or pine shavings for chickens. No cedar as the oil is bad for bird lungs.

It's wet here most of the year so I usually use straw in the runs even though they are covered because too much water still gets in. The straw last longer than the shavings in the runs

Aspen or pine shavings for chickens. No cedar as the oil is bad for bird lungs.

It's wet here most of the year so I usually use straw in the runs even though they are covered because too much water still gets in. The straw last longer than the shavings in the runs
I agree if you look close you can see I have straw down as well. I just keep the pine shavings fresher. I feel like it also helps with the “chicken smell” I live in Florida and it’s raining one minute and sunny the next.

It's upsetting. I have a little 9 week old cockerel that is already showing that over friendliness I've been trying to breed for. He has bad toes! Urgh

So if anyone around the Puyallup Washington area is interested in a partridge boy for a pet, he's free so I don't have to eat him.

I think one of the pullets has split wing so she'll be for sale for ten.

Has anyone ever hatched a silkie that is all pink skin, toes and beak? I hatched one from shipped eggs that were smooth sizzle grays. Breeder says it will darken up, I know pigment holes can darken but this is more that pigment hole, curious if this has happened to anyone else. This appears to be the only one of the 5 that hatched that could be a gray.

Last edited:
They will not be the best quality by then. May or may not develop. Staggered hatches are difficult but can be done.
So i think she decided to set. She's been there since this AM. Her and the Roo are in a pen together just the 2 of them. Do I keep him in with her or should I let him roam with the other hens I have?

So i think she decided to set. She's been there since this AM. Her and the Roo are in a pen together just the 2 of them. Do I keep him in with her or should I let him roam with the other hens I have?
She doesn't need him in there. He is free to go.

Back
Top Bottom