Silkie thread!

I think he's black, I don't know even the breeder said she didn't know where that copper around his neck came from. He's flogged me three times since I got him. Oh don't worry about Cruella(polish hen) she put him in his place lols. She's the meanest hen I have, if she didn't lay I would swear she was a roo.  

It's called gold leakage. He looks partridge to me.

If they don't have silkied feathers, they will never be silkies. What I saw of the birds in the photo is that they all lacked type significantly--their shapes are more like the breeds you crossed to than like silkie.

Sadly, I agree. This is a wonderful ambitious project to get blue egg Silkies to match their blue earlobes, but a judge would never classify the UK Araucana (USA equivalent Americana) hard feather look as a "Silkie". So far the eggs look like EE production. Flukes can happen though so wishing suebgbr all the best! Hard work, hard work, hard work & gaining knowledge along the way is what gets success. I hope a lot of gene-savvy people can help sue along w/Silkie feathering as I am not qualified. Smiles :)

Quick question, if you pick out a trio to breed, and they have been in a flock, how long do you have to wait to make sure the eggs are fertilized by the rooster you picked to breed with them to make sure he is the father and not another rooster.

Thanks

Not sure about Silkies but we were gifted a Marans who was laying fertile for almost 2 weeks after being away from a roo. In fact, we gave 6 eggs to a friend who put them under a broody and 5 hatched healthy. To be sure I would wait 3 weeks to be certain but then that's me. Smiles :)

All Silkie colors are beautiful but I think the Partridge are the prettiest of all the males. So many shimmering black/gold/gray/speckled colors. Our boy was such a beauty and the deeper colors made him look like a strong confident cockerel - so I can imagine how beautiful Incy is in person. Now that's funny about Cruella! Sounds like she is appropriately named!

So Incy doesn't abuse Cruella but only throttles humans? Sometimes these Silkies (male or female) will take advantage of being dominant. I have a Partridge female that will chase 2 new LF pullets around the yard because they run from her and she loves the power! But the Black Silkie stands up to her and won't take the dominant abuse after being in a fight w/ her which sent the Black to the vet. The 2 Silkies are on even ground w/ each other now but the little Partridge has a field day chasing the 2 LF. I'd much rather have a 2-lb Silkie be the alpha leader than have a 5-lb LF chase the 2-lb Silkies round the yard. We're ok w/ the Partridge taking the lead because she's too little to actually hurt the LF who just run or jump over her when she gets roo-ish. She had always been a timid little thing in a flock of LF chicks who quickly towered over her so she was always hiding and we named her shrinking "Violet." Now at 3 yrs she is the oldest hen and loving the reversal of power and probably should be re-named "VioleNt" - Smiles :)

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing good. This week has been crazy dealing with issues in the flock, but I finally got a minute to take pics of the 2 week olds. They all were born different colors, but are feathering white. So they have the silver and gold genes going on under that white sheet. :)

And... Gracie is for sure Grayson! I love him. He is getting the neatest splashes, but my camera doesn't pick them up very well. He looks like a leopard in person. He will stay as part of our breeding program. He is 4 months now.

I can't think of a cuter chick than Silkies, LOL. Very cute photos!

I just acquired a white Silkie hen. I think she is a hybrid/mutt though because she doesn't have feathered toes, although she does have five toes. She is a sweetie though, and since I have no plans to show my birds, she is fine as a pet. My silkie roo has been wooing her, but she seems more interested in food than in love ;-) I'm gonna just let nature take it's course with those two. I'm sure its a bit of a blow to my roo's ego, LOL but who knows? I'd be so excited if they have some chicks together. Seeing all these chick photos lately really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :-D

FINALLY got recent pics of my two silkie chicks I hatched on NYD! I have a calico hen and a partridge hen.....for some reason only her wing feathers are curly, but I thought she was a sizzle....nope.....she has silkie feathers, so what would she be classified as?

Bemmie, Calico

Timothy, Partrige (you can see my white sizzle's foot in the brooder. LOL)

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing good. This week has been crazy dealing with issues in the flock, but I finally got a minute to take pics of the 2 week olds. They all were born different colors, but are feathering white. So they have the silver and gold genes going on under that white sheet. :) And... Gracie is for sure Grayson! I love him. He is getting the neatest splashes, but my camera doesn't pick them up very well. He looks like a leopard in person. He will stay as part of our breeding program. He is 4 months now.
Beautiful birds!! I want one like Grayson!! :)

FINALLY got recent pics of my two silkie chicks I hatched on NYD! I have a calico hen and a partridge hen.....for some reason only her wing feathers are curly, but I thought she was a sizzle....nope.....she has silkie feathers, so what would she be classified as? Bemmie, Calico Timothy, Partrige (you can see my white sizzle's foot in the brooder. LOL)
Awe!! :)

Back
Top Bottom