Silkie thread!

This is my second silkies I'm thinking its a hen. "She" is also 5 weeks her and the one I think is a roo are the same age.
Sorry these pictures are so blurry she was preening when I took these.

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! I have a question about Silkies. I live in WA and it rains all the time. I have read that Silkies can't live in rainy areas, but I love them:hit , and would love to have some.

We have a high rain full here in Tassie too. My silkies have a coop with a covered pen area that opens onto a grassed area . They will generally stay undercover on miserable days. As long as you can provide shelter , there is no reason you can't have silkies. :)

Hi there! I just purchased three chickens (two hens, one rooster) I was told they are silkies but I just want to make sure. They aren't nearly as fluffy as the pictures I see here! Also, my rooster has several extra toes on each foot, not just the normal one extra. Does this mean he's inbred?

Hello, I'm getting two Silkies in23 days ( I am so exited that I have one of those paper chains on my wall) I am going to put it in a coop with my 5 yr old Polish and my 1 yr old Faverolles when it's older, should I not do that? My Polish is pretty docile but will they still not get along?

Took Taylor outside today to enjoy the sunshine! She's doing great and hasn't relapsed since January. She so far is acting very female though comparing her body shape to the other other chick I got with her who I am 100% certain is a pullet, she has a distinct sort of masculine shape... :/ either way she's still my baby.

My very small breeding plans are going well so far. My mixed color breeding pen (2 white, 1 partridge, 1 black, 1 cuckoo, 1 blue silkie mix, and 2 Partridge cockerels) has been together for about a month and half now and I just put in the first two batches of eggs on the 1st and again today.

That's great! I've been following Taylor's progress for a while. Your dedication to her is inspiring as is her will to survive.

Hello, I'm getting two Silkies in23 days ( I am so exited that I have one of those paper chains on my wall) I am going to put it in a coop with my 5 yr old Polish and my 1 yr old Faverolles when it's older, should I not do that? My Polish is pretty docile but will they still not get along?

As with any breed , you won't know for sure until you introduce them. It is best to introduce your birds to each other through a wired petition and give them time to ' size ' each other up. Assuming that the birds are of similar or equal size , I can't see why they won't get along. I should stress that it is always best to isolate any new birds for a period of 4-6 weeks. This time allows you to properly assess the health of the birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom