silkie toes

Cremesoda34

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
logansport ,indiana
I was wondering why some people say their silkies don't have 5 toes. I am still learning and was wondering what would cause missing toes like is it from them over breed or inbreeding or something else? Does that mean they are not true silkie? sorry lots of questions but I was looking for some to buy and that is what was said on one of the auctions I was looking at and I don't want to buy if that is a potential problem . We were wanting some possible show quality silkies as my silkie roo is not because he has a single comb but he is perfect except for the comb so he is just our very loved roo for our mixed flock.

i thinks its just a defect some get as is the single comb. it dosent make them less of a silkie it just means they dont fit show standards. if ur looking for a show silkie u want to get a really fluffy one with all 5 toes on each foot. black skin. and a pea comb.
the missing toe could be a sign of inbreeding or breeding one with the defect over and over again passing it on.

i thinks its just a defect some get as is the single comb. it dosent make them less of a silkie it just means they dont fit show standards. if ur looking for a show silkie u want to get a really fluffy one with all 5 toes on each foot. black skin. and a pea comb.
the missing toe could be a sign of inbreeding or breeding one with the defect over and over again passing it on.

Silkies have a walnut comb or a modified rose comb. Not a pea comb, although that gene is part of the walnut comb makeup.

Number of toes can be either genetic or due to incubation temperatures. Inbreeding has nothing to do with missing toes if the parents all have the correct number of toes--if anything, it should ensure that they have them all if incubation is not an issue.

thank you both for the reply, It helped alot. I am so happy for this site. My daughter shows in 4H and since she can't show our roo this year because his comb has grown so much that she really wanted another silkie to show besides her little red cochin bantam and our tom turkey jorge.

Back
Top Bottom