Silkie tooster with standard hens

So, it is raining today and I guess these guys cant get wet? I am going to try later when the rain ends and maybe let them free range together, not within the confines of the run. And, he is 6 months old, so not getting any bigger? He is barely the size of my smallest EEs.

So, we have progress! Let them all free range yesterday and Marshmallow (just named him) did not understand going in the big coop and laid down in the run, so I put him in there (assume he just laid on the floor, the roost is high) and this morning he came out raring to go! He was able to mount the hen that was giving him trouble (albeit backwards 🤣) and then ran into a pole we have in the middle of the run to hold up the netting. Are all silkies goofy like this or can he just not see. Should I clip his hair back?

Last edited:
first try the see no touch method for a few weeks so the girls get used to him. And yes, they are goofy little fluffy butts. ( I call them special needs chickens!) Once his hormones start raging at about 8-10 months then it gets really funny watching him try to court and mount those hens backwards!! :lau I have two silkie roosters with 2 silkie hens and 8 standard size hens. If you suspect he cant see well, trim the feathers above his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom