Silkie Tractor Question

Chicnsrthebest

Chirping
14 Years
Sep 1, 2008
I want to build a tractor for my Silkies and would like to know how big to make the little coop.
I've got 10 new chicks, and 2 adult hens.

From what I've been reading, there doesn't seem to be any value to making one that has two stories, since most of the time they won't go too high anyway, so I'm just going to make a square box with a flat roof. (It's only going to be used in summer)

Can anyone tell me how big I should make the little coop? If you have any pics to share, I'd love to see them
smile.png

Silkies don't like ramps a lot of the time. Also they don't like to roost usually.

Some folks do have silkies that roost and climb ramps.

On BYC, people usually recommend 10 square feet per chicken in the run PLUS 4 square feet per chicken in the coop.

I have used a dog kennel with my silkies before, but make sure that you have the bottom of the fencing lined with something like hardware cloth or chicken wire because an owl reached in and grabbed a bird. I had a chick-n-hutch inside the kennel for their coop. They didn't like the ramp.

Oh and you might want to consider an apron to prevent digging predators from getting them.

Last edited:
Yes, one of my Silkies won't use a ramp, but my little blue hen would. I'd always have to pick up my little white one and carry her inside. LOL

Oh, I should mention, that we are building a regular coop for my Silkies, this one I'm talking about is only going to be a mobile tractor to put them out in during the day.

Last edited:
If the silkies are just to be sleeping in the coop and have ample space in the run, I would feel comfortable going with a 4 x 4 coop with 12 of them. Since they are bantams, I mean.

This is just my PERSONAL opinion- having dealt with silkies quite a bit. But if the chicken tractor is to be cramped, then I would not feel comfortable with a small coop.

There are coops on wagons that you can make- I saw some for sale already built and someone on BYC made one.

If you don't have REALLY good wheels, you will have a horrible time moving the tractor. You can buy flatbed wagons with handles and build something on top of that. If you keep the food in the coop it encourages the silkies to go up the ramp.

Quote:
4X4 I think is way to small for 12 silkies, I know they aren't terribly big but I have a 4X4 and I can't imagine a dozen birds in it

Last edited:
Yes, I will be putting them into the regular coop at night.
This will just be for their daytime outing when I am home. But, I still want a little coop that they can go into during the day.

I'd love to see the coops on wagons.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom