Silkie Twisting & Shaking Neck after Sour Crop Treatment - Help

AlexisLeigh

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2018
We took our silkie Pearl into the vet last Monday (8/12) for what I thought to be sour crop. The doctor tested fluid from her crop and found a bacterial infection (culture showed primarily E. Coli). She was treated with antibiotics for the past week and a half. All appeared to be well at our follow up appointment on Monday (8/19), with her crop beginning to empty each night. However, on Tuesday night she began curling/twisting her neck down and shaking her head (video link below). I don't believe she's just preening as it appears uncontrolled, and she frequently falls forward or off balance. When checking on her in the mornings she has been slow to stand up and weaves neck back and forth. When I pick her up, she immediately curls her neck downward. I took her outside this evening and she walked and pecked normally. She has been laying normal eggs every other day.

Appreciate anything you can share!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie hen, 1yr old in July
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Twisting/curling neck downward
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating and drinking all throughout day - Dumor Layer Crumble moistened (non-med)
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Some liquid/diarrhea, some more solid clumps
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nutridrench in water, Vitamin E capsules. We've been treating as if this is a vitamin deficiency / wry neck but I'm curious if this is somehow related to the infection or antibiotics from earlier on.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I have a call in to the vet about her new symptoms, looking for potential causes or similar experiences
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Video:
You can hear a liquid poop about halfway through

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Separated from other hens, indoor in plastic tub with potty pads

We took our silkie Pearl into the vet last Monday (8/12) for what I thought to be sour crop. The doctor tested fluid from her crop and found a bacterial infection (culture showed primarily E. Coli). She was treated with antibiotics for the past week and a half. All appeared to be well at our follow up appointment on Monday (8/19), with her crop beginning to empty each night.

Tuesday night she began curling/twisting her neck down and shaking her head (video link below). I don't believe she's just preening as it appears uncontrolled, and she frequently falls forward or off balance. When checking on her in the mornings she has been slow to stand up and weaves neck back and forth. When I pick her up, she immediately curls her neck downward.

I took her outside this evening and she walked and pecked normally. She has been laying normal eggs every other day.
I would have the vet check her over again.
Look her over well for lice/mites, it's hard to tell in the video if she's have uncontrolled neck movements or if she's preening/grooming.
Neck movement back/forth could be adjusting the crop, but being off balance and falling forward sounds neurological.

What antibiotics did the vet prescribe, just curious. I would go along with your giving treatment as if it's Wry Neck (which is a neurological symptom). The vitamins won't necessarily hurt and it would be good to see if they make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom