Silkie weezing and sneezing please help

Ayu

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Western Washington
Yesterday evening when I was locking up my 2 5 week old silkies for the night I noticed one was making strange sounds. I went to check on them throughout tonight and now its 3am and my gray one is wheezing and sneezing. Yesterday it was 100 here and I had a fan going in their area it wasn't blowing on them but I'm thinking it must have kicked up dust. Is the best way to treat with VetRx ? I gave them some electrolyte water but there's not much I can do this late at night. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Well she seemed good in the day with the VetRx but after giving her the night dose she seems to be doing the wheezing and sneezing from the night before

Chicks who have been exposed to a respiratory disease through their hatching egg or from a carrier, can develop symptoms at that age. Is there any sign of bubbles in the eye or swelling of face? Make sure that bedding is clean and dry and provide good ventilation.

I have two 5 week olds in a brooder the other one is fine with no problems. Theres no signs of bubbles or swelling its just the wheezing and sneezing. I changed out the bedding yesterday and vacuumed the dust around the brooder. Its started wheezing and sneezing after I gave it VetRx last night but when I came back out to check them it had stopped except for a few little sneezes.

There could be a piece of feed possibly stuck in the throat. I would offer fluids often to see if it helps, and watch for any other symptoms. Let her drink on her own since trying to force feed anything can cause choking. Since respiratory diseases can be from bacteria, virus, or mold fungus, antibiotics may only help bacterial illnesses such as MG or coryza. Your symptoms don’t sound like those. Vet Rx is not a medication, but only herbal oils and camphor in liquid. It cannot cure a respiratory disease.

Yeah I try and do that. Today I saw her eat but she's breathing fast I also saw a fee little sneezes but not the sound she was making the night before

I just took another vid of her breathing fast theres 3 little sneezes in it too. When she's laying down you can see the fast breathing better

What are your temperatures like? Do they even need addition heat?

I would observe her for a few days. If she's eating/drinking and relatively active, with no other symptoms then I would not do anything at this point. If more symptoms arise, then take note of them.

Also make sure her nostrils are not getting clogged with food.

Back
Top Bottom