Silkie with curled under toes walking on 1,2 and 3 knuckles.

Sivad

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
Gaston OR
Here is some pics of her feet. Is there anything to do to help her especially when she joins the group of chicken older and bigger than she is? Hope these pic are good enough.

Thank you for your time Brad
20190925_185904.jpg
20190925_185742.jpg
20190925_185918.jpg

Attachments

• 20190925_185907.jpg
    20190925_185907.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190925_185910.jpg
    20190925_185910.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190925_185948.jpg
    20190925_185948.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190925_185926.jpg
    20190925_185926.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 0
On your other thread you mention that you tried splinting the feet, but it didn't help.
Curled toes like that could be a genetic defect, from vitamin deficiency or improper incubation, among a number of other things. Sadly, sometimes this cannot be fixed.

What do you feed, including treats?

Is there oozing from the feet too? The feet look a bit crusty in places and the feathers are discolored.
You also mention in your other thread that you were planning on integrating her with older chicks - are those Silkies or Large Fowl? Is she currently by herself? She may have a hard time with integration, you never know, but it would be good to have place ready to separate her to if you need to pull her out. Sometimes chickens will pick on one that is weak and not able to get around. Can she walk at all and get to food/water on her own with no problems? What are your plans for her - pet? breeding?

upload_2019-10-5_14-29-13.png

Right now she is in a large plastic bin with 2 other Silkies which seem semi protective of her. The discoloration and crud I assumed was from walking through droppings. The older chickens are: 2 Easter Egger Ameraucana, 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 bantum Crested Polish.
The Silkie (named snowy) walks around fairly well some time stumbles but not that often at all. She is the smallest of the Silkies but she does get food and water just fine. We feeding all our chickens Grower Crumble, and for the Silkies we tried to give then dried meal worms but they seem to have a hard time with it, but we found that they like fruit and seed mix for parakeets. We also bring them out side once in a while so the can eat fresh weeds in our yard and so the older chicks can see them. We did give them hardboiled eggs for a while because heard some where that might help with vitamin problems.
All our chickens are pets.

Thank you for your time,
Brad

This could be part of your problem.
Stop feeding them this and feed only the complete balanced chick feed.
I will try to find chicken scratch for smaller chickens, but we got her with the curled toes and we feed the treats very rarely like maybe once a week.
Thank you for your information
Brad

I will try to find chicken scratch for smaller chickens, but we got her with the curled toes and we feed the treats very rarely like maybe once a week.
Thank you for your information
Brad
No, don't get scratch at all.
Get a crumble complete feed (Chick Starter or Grower feed). If the pieces are too big smash them up with a hammer in a zip lock bag.

Okay so they shouldn't get any treats at all, just give them their regular food?
Correct.
Any treats you give takes away from them getting a complete balanced diet...which can cause vitamin deficiencies....

Correct.
Any treats you give takes away from them getting a complete balanced diet...which can cause vitamin deficiencies....
So the information I got on hardboiled eggs is wrong then? I am just trying to clarify things when I get conflicting information I'm not doubting you.

So the information I got on hardboiled eggs is wrong then? I am just trying to clarify things when I get conflicting information I'm not doubting you.
Eggs are fine....small amounts and not daily.

Back
Top Bottom