Silkie with foot issues

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
I hatched out 16 Silkie chicks yesterday and one has foot issues and one has a bad leg. The one with the foot issues, I think it can be corrected. On both feet, the toes are curled and the chick is unable to walk. I keep finding it on its back peeping loudly. Someone told me, after I culled a chick like this last year, that I would have been able to help it. Of course it was already too late by the time that person told me.

Is there a way I can help this little one?

Here's a pic to show its feet.
24335_crippled_silkie_003.jpg

Can I help it? Or should I cull it?

The other one, I'm afraid I'm going to have to cull but I really need to take a better look at its leg issue. It's getting around on one leg whereas this one can't get around at all with its feet curled up the way they are.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Laurie

One of my Cochins hatched with twisted toes this past spring. There is a thread on here that shows how to put a little snowshoe splint on it. He was just fine in a week. I'll see if I can find the post for you.

Last edited:
Good luck with the little chicklet, and keep us posted. My "Thumper" only had one bad foot, but after a day, I found he was able to get around easier when I splinted both feet. One splinted foot just seemed to make him wobble even more. The splints were so big, he really had trouble getting close enough to drink water - I spent a lot of time helping him with that. But by the third day, he amazed me by siding up to the waterer, rather than facing it. So smart!!!
Here's his pics splinted, and at 5 weeks:
40221_dscf6509.jpg

40221_thumper_-_5wks2.jpg

Can someone help please. My silkie-sizzle-frizzle has a toe stuck to the pad. I can't bend it. He is limping. What do I do????

Back
Top Bottom