Silkie with VERY hooked beak that grows back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SleepyHollowFnF, Dec 12, 2016.

1. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

When we first got her, she had a very curved and pointed beak that we figured would eventually fall off. It didn't.
    We sanded it down at first and she seemed to have a better time eating. Recently we gave her a closer look and were surprised to see that it had in fact grown back. Today we cut it down again to look like the picture on the top right. We are just worried about her ability to forage and eat when her upper beak is in the way of her lower beak catching food. Any ideas on what's up here, if it will always grow, and if its passed down genetically or not? I ask about passing it down because she is the most popular of our girls right now with our two roosters.

Thanks all!

[​IMG]

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I think it looks normal, just overgrown. Some birds do have this issue. You can trim it down , just don't make it shorter than the bottom beak, and be careful not to cut the quick. Just do a little at a time until it's short enough. Also you can try putting a concrete stepping stone or block in the run under feeders and waterers. They can rub their beaks on this an keep them filed down doing their normal behavior of wiping their beaks after eating or drinking. It may be something that you just have to monitor with this particular bird, and trim as necessary. Don't know if it's a trait that is commonly passed down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by