Silkie won't go into the coop at night

Zenzilicious

Chirping
Jun 4, 2022
Bucks County PA
Hello!

We purchased 2 Silkie Hens (2 year olds) a little over a week ago. Our white Silkie will NOT go into the coop at night. The Brown Silkie has acclimated just fine and goes into the coop and roosts with the other hens. I have been putting the white one in every night. I tried putting her on the roost, and I have tried putting her on the nesting box roost and she freaks out and gets off immediatley. She goes to sleep right next to the door, so It's not like she doesn't understand what to do. I have tried putting a light by the door at night to help her get in- she doesn't go. I have tried putting a light in the coop so she can get on the roost, but she just curls in the corner by herself.

She is definitely bottom of the pecking order, ive even seen the brown silkie peck her.
I guess it's probably ok for her to sleep on the floor in the coop, but I'd like her to go in by herself at least to make my life easier. lol

Any tips?

Sounds like she's still adjusting. Give it a little more time. As long as she is safe and isn't get pecked on terribly, she'll probably work it out. Getting to roost when they don't want to is difficult to do. Do you know if she ever roosted to sleep? She might not have.
I am not sure if she did. I know her owner had like over 100 silkies on their farm so its likely she didnt roost, thats a lot of roosting bars!

Hi Everyone!
It's been a while since this post and Lady is still not going in the coop. She is sleeping right outside the door by the fencing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hello,
You may need to "lock" her in the coop for about a week and it might help her adjust and to figure out that that is now home. When we first put our silkies in the coop we locked them in for about 5-7 days so they could learn that that was home. Ours do use the roosting bars, but it took a little while for them to figure it out and sometimes we still have to put one of ours on the bar. Just have a little patience and keep working with her. Just put her on the bar every night even if it seems like she doesn't want to and gets down. She'll get there eventually. :)

Hello,
You may need to "lock" her in the coop for about a week and it might help her adjust and to figure out that that is now home. When we first put our silkies in the coop we locked them in for about 5-7 days so they could learn that that was home. Ours do use the roosting bars, but it took a little while for them to figure it out and sometimes we still have to put one of ours on the bar. Just have a little patience and keep working with her. Just put her on the bar every night even if it seems like she doesn't want to and gets down. She'll get there eventually. :)
I dont think i explained it right- im not as worried as she is not using the rossting bars, however she will not enter the hen house with the other chickens. she sleeps right outside that door :( We put her in every night.

I dont think i explained it right- im not as worried as she is not using the rossting bars, however she will not enter the hen house with the other chickens. she sleeps right outside that door :( We put her in every night.
The first part of my response was my answer to that issue. 🙂 Try locking her in the hen house for about 5-7 days. Meaning she stays in there day and night for 5-7 days and she should learn that this is her home and go in at night. It might help her get a little more comfortable as well. If she still doesn't want to go in after that there may be something in there that's scaring her or maybe she's getting picked on.

Trim the fluff around her eyes where she can see really well. When I did that to mine ( who btw had the most beautiful perfect puff ball face) she was a completely different bird! She sat for about 30 min just looking around in awe of the world. It was like giving a blind person their sight back. It was incredible to watch. As much as I sincerely miss that big beautiful fluffy face her happiness is more important to me. Plus she doesn’t miss out on any treats because she can see them ❤️
So if you decide to do it please tell me how it goes. And if you just can’t handle not having the puff face no worries it grows back ❤️❤️❤️

I have the EXACT same issue! My 15 - almost 3 month old chickens were kept in their coop for a couple weeks before they were big enough to come out regularly. Then I let them in and out until I installed the auto door. Now they all go in except Lucy, 1 of 2 silkies. I've trimmed the fuzz around here eyes, put a light inside the coop on a timer. She still will not go in at night. She will be huddled up right outside the coop (big) door. I've tried guiding her up the ramp. She sleeps in the corner on the floor as well, never on the roost bars. HELP!!!

Back
Top Bottom