silkies and cold temps

JFG

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I have one pet silkie chicken in an urban setting. She was living in a wire cage; allowed to free range in an urban yard when I was at home. I just received an eglu go for Christmas. I have been bringing her into the house when it is cold (in the 40's or below). Since the eglu is insulated and draft free, could she stay outside in the closed eglu when the temps drop. My daughter is concerned because she is a single chicken and there are no other chcikens to cuddle with. Can anyone give me advice? I am in Houston, TX.

My chickens don't huddle at night they spread out------> I have a heat lamp for laying purposes. You could get another silkie or put lots of hay in there for insulation. Another silkie is always fun since you only have one it would be better for he/she since silkie's are very social, Put lots of hay LOTS of hay. Hope this helps,
smile.png
!

These are types of chickens I have

LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE
wink.png
!

Hi JFG,
Purely for the sake of your Silkie's mental and emotional health, along with the increased warmth factor I'd highly recommend finding another Silkie to keep her company....and this suggestion has absolutely nothing to do with the "chickens are like potato chips" thing I keep hearing...ok, ok, maybe it does a little:D Just doesn't seem 'right' to have a single bird:rolleyes:
Really though, unless you experience a lot of very bitter cold weather I'd think a well-insulated eglu/coop with some extra bedding would be OK--even though she doesn't have the same feathering that the other breeds have she should still be able to fluff up and insulate herself, so if she's out of the wind/draft and protected I would go for it (and keep looking for a buddy, just to be safe...)
Oh yeah, our little Silkie girl (Sasha, blue pullet about 6 months old) shares a small wood coop (4'x4') and run (8'x 12') with two bantam cochins and a sultan--never see them 'cuddling together' but she seems to be doing just fine, and it's been below freezing since early December (until two days ago, when we made it to 62 degrees--typical Ohio--back in the high 20's today). Best of luck.
Dawn

My silkies huddle togather at night even when its in the 70s at night in the summer time.She really needs a buddy if you are going to leave her outside for warmth and company.I keep my coop in the low 40s at night for my 13 silkies.

JFG,

Are you inside Houston city limits? If so, the city ordinance will allow you to have up to 4 hens.
There is a poultry show January 8th at College Station Texas A&M campus in the Louis Pierce Pavillion across from the Library called the Bluebonnet Classic.
There will be poultry for sale per the site I read on it. So you may find her a few buddies there. Maybe, another super adorable Silkie or Polish or Bantam Cochin, or......oops sorry I got carried away.

But yes I would atleast get her a buddy if not 2. Your daughter may love the show. I think it starts at either 9 am or 9:30. I still need to google directions myself.
Also, you can check Craigslist for our local area for another chickie. I picked up a couple of Silkies about 2 weeks ago from a nice lady in Spring, TX. They fit in perfectly with the 3 I had hatched.

Hope you enjoy your new eglu and chickies. They are so much fun.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the information and replies. Frances spent the night out last night and seemed fine this morning. Tonight we placed a hot water bottle in the eglu just to boost the inside temp for the night. I added more shavings and some newspaper underneath for insulation. We may need to bring her in when it freezes, but other than that I think she will adjust.

BooBear: I did read about the Bluebonnet Classic in College Station and am planning on attending. I would really like another silkie. I am not sure about adding another chicken as our subdivision deed restrictions do not allow poultry. I am kind of under the radar except for near neighbors who think Frances is pretty darn cute!

By the way I love your coop. I bought a book about building coops. However, my husband is not the carpenter type and it did not inspire him. He knew I really wanted a coop so he surprised me with an Eglu for Christmas.

I hope to move to Prescott AZ in the next 1-2 years and there I will be able to have more chickens! Love the BYC website!

I think you should get company for Frances. We have 14 hens and 1 rooster Silkie and the
Barn is NOT heated. We live in Central New York with COLD Winters. Our Silkies do NOT
roost...they huddle together.

Changing temperatures? We read this is NOT good. Let them stay at the same temperature.
They adjust. We do have a covered run and they get their exercise. We have a small sand
box and the floor in the run is small pubbles over soil. They love to dig. It almost looks like a dance step to us. Please get Francis a friend.

Back
Top Bottom