Silkies and Polish

Aug 2, 2022
Can you put a 5 month old Polish hen in with a group of 2 month old Silkies, or is that asking for problems?
I've noticed chickens are very docile when they are being picked on, but then become the bully when they have the opportunity...
Are Polish the same in general?

Can you put a 5 month old Polish hen in with a group of 2 month old Silkies, or is that asking for problems?
I've noticed chickens are very docile when they are being picked on, but then become the bully when they have the opportunity...
Are Polish the same in general?
Both breeds are very docile, but they can be brutal if they don't like another chicken. You could try it since there's strength in numbers. I highly doubt the 2-month-olds would pick on a bigger chicken, and I would not think the 5-month-old would pick on the younger ones if it's outnumbered. It would be interesting to see.

Can you put the Polish in a pen where it can see the younger ones and they can see it for a week or two first? They'd get used to each other in advance of just putting the older one with them.

Both breeds are very docile, but they can be brutal if they don't like another chicken. You could try it since there's strength in numbers. I highly doubt the 2-month-olds would pick on a bigger chicken, and I would not think the 5-month-old would pick on the younger ones if it's outnumbered. It would be interesting to see.

Can you put the Polish in a pen where it can see the younger ones and they can see it for a week or two first? They'd get used to each other in advance of just putting the older one with them.
The 5 month old Polish seems to be doing fine, since there is a lot of room... It's just there is one hen that goes out of the way to let her know she's boss...
I thought if I put her with the Silkies, it would prevent anything from happening...
She is the sweetest girl, I just wouldn't want her to go Terminator on my Silkies...
A barrier in their run might be a good idea to start with.

Back
Top Bottom