Silkies are odd little birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by A.T. Hagan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    [​IMG]

My oldest daughter hatched ten Silkies last Wednesday from eggs that she bought from Three Cedars Silkies. This last Saturday we bought some six week old chicks from Vickie of Sunshine Silkies and put them in the brooder with the four day old chicks. I watched them all afternoon and not once did I see any bullying, toe picking, or guarding of the feed or water. I wouldn't have done this with any other breed of chickens but I've got experience with Silkie chicks so I figured it was going to be safe. It's been three days now and they are still getting along fine.

Silkies are goofy little birds, but they do grow on you.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    That is why I love my Silkies. The older ones are great with little ones, no matter the age difference I have found. I had some 6 weekers mothering some babies just like hens would do. Had babies sticking out all over!

3. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Aren't they so sweet? I had a bad silkie hatch that only yielded one lonely silkie chick. I had 8 week old silkies in a brooder so I put the new day old baby in with them and the baby crawls under one of the white silkie pullets like it is mom! Only kind of chicken I would try to pull that off with![​IMG]

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    they are sweet little birds. The only time I have any problem is when mom is being protective. My mom gets a little agressive when she has littleones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by