Silkies are so amazing

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Well, I guess Silkies are just too friendly that even Broody hens don't mine. My little mother like Silkie has always sat by my broody Black Cochin hen and kept her company, and it seems like she talks to her. But today, she took it even FURTHER. She is actually sitting on the hen and eggs WITH the Broody hen.

Aren't they just so lovely.

love.gif

I know I'm prejudiced...but, Silkies have the BEST personalities of any breed of poultry.

The only problem I've found with the "multiple mommas" is that they have accidently squished a chick....

My silkie hen has 4 eggs so far, the roo has done his job. Two questions, how many eggs will she lay before she starts to sit and will she tolerate me moving her eggs into a nest box (she is laying her eggs in the deep litter)? I will have to buy some concrete grid wire to keep the big hens out of her nest, 4" openings. I wonder how the roo will react to her sitting on the nest? Life is so full of questions. . . . .
hu.gif

Yes, my silkies are great. They always follow me and help me garden.

Our silkie got broodie the first time after only laying a dozen eggs. We didn't let her sit on those eggs as we thought she was a little young (and advice from other posts advised this also). She has since hatched 4 chicks, but, has had some trouble adjesting to motherhood and breaking her broodiness.

Our silkie got broodie the first time after only laying a dozen eggs. We didn't let her sit on those eggs as we thought she was a little young (and advice from other posts advised this also). She has since hatched 4 chicks, but, has had some trouble adjesting to motherhood and breaking her broodiness.

I have no idea how old my silkie hen is, I'm guessing she is not too young, she, I think, for a silkie is full grown. Both her and the roo are much larger than the other bantams I have. I guess I just wait and see just when she decides to sit and go from there. Thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom