silkies hatching now, newbie need a little help

posey

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Coastal NC
Hi,
I have only hatched out once before with my australorp and a mix of mama eggs.
Silly me I only put 6 eggs under an autralorp, didn't realize I could have given that big gal more.
Of those 6: 1 was not fertilized, 1 died before getting the whole way out and the other 4 are great and now 2 months old.

Currently, I have two broodie silkie hens sitting on 7 eggs combined.
Tomorrow was the scheduled hatch day but tonight when I was locking up the other girls I checked on the broody mammas.
To my surprise, I already have 1 biddie hatched out. It seems just fine and is dry now. I got it to drink a little bit of water and then put it back under mamma.

There was a second egg cracked but I don't think it is okay or so it seems.

That egg was cracked all around but the membrane was not broken. There was no sound or movement and so I helped it a little. It is not moving at all - shall we agree that it is gone?

It is 10:30 here, should I stay up during the night and keep checking under the girls?

Is there anything that I could have done to help that other chick?

I really don't want to repeat that if possible.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks all
P

They either will or won't make it. I would take the one that zipped and make sure that it is dead. It may have a tough membrane and need you to pop the top. But be careful and make sure there is no bleeding.

Probably leaving the hens alone would be the best. Good luck...

Thank you for responding.
I feel like a nervous father with my wife in labor, only I'm the wife.
smile.png

I checked the baby in the shell that 'zipped' as you say and it is not moving at all.
Nor can I see the heart beating.
sad.png

I guess I will just sit tight until morning and then check on them.
Thank you again.
P

Hi All:
Well my one hatched out biddie is doing great.
I have at least 3 more of the 5 eggs that I can hear cheeps from inside.
All three have pipped.
Of those 3, one pipped last night about 11 PM but is still in the shell. Some more shall has broken off but the membrane is really intact except where the egg tooth pipped the shell - there is an opening and I can see the tooth.
However, I can see some blood through that membrane.
What should I do?
hmm.png

Okay, another question.
I have a chick who is out of the shell but the eyes are closed tight. Will they open eventually?

Well all the ones that would hatch out are doing great, especially the one who I was so worried about.
That is the light colored one.
Thought you might like to see them.
34537_basket_of_biddies.jpg

34537_trio_of_biddies.jpg

34537_4_biddies_1.jpg

I had no idea that silkie babies were so teeny tiny - of course they are my girls lay small eggs, even for silkies
They are so cute, too bad I can't keep any - they were all sold before they hatched out.
Thanks again for you help
P

Back
Top Bottom