Silkies !! Hens or roos ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kbreak, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Wondering on sexing silkies. These are my first. The oldest being about 4 weeks. I have 5. I think 2 could be 4 weeks the other 3 are younger. Here some pictures. Never had silkies anything in particular i need to know about caring for them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are one of the hardest breeds to sex and the best thing to do with them is wait till they eaither crow or lay.

as far as guessing their gender right now its a bit to early try posting again when they are around 6-12 weeks

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:X2

4. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    OH goodness they are sooo stinkin cute! I have to agree with the others. I was right here with you a few months ago and I still am not 100% of mine. I went from "wait" to "I think you have 1 boy and 1 girl" to " I think they are both girls" So yeah, better to wait!

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies are hard to sex, you won't have a good solid guess until they are around 3 months old. Some silkies can fool you until they crow or lay an egg - well into 6-9 month old range.

6. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thanks for the information. I am new to chickens. They add up fast. I wanted an incubator for Christmas so I could hatch eggs. After having 8 Lavender Orpingtons in a brooder I decided it is easier to have a hen to take care of babies. So I bought 5 silkies in hopes some of them are hens. They were about the same size as my 2 week old Lavender Orps so I put them in the brooder with them. Thank goodness they all get along. When we build our chicken barn gonna have a pen just for silkies. Can't wait. Chickens are very addictive. I have quickly gotten up to 30.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    The second picture looks like a pullet to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by