Silkies hock is out of place!

mshuey1

Songster
Apr 23, 2011
San Antonio
hi I have a 1wk old silkie that is not walking well. The problem is that the hock is popped out of place I have put it back it to place and it keeps popping out and you can feel it when it's in place but as soon as I move my hand from the position of holding it in place it pops out. Right now am going to put him in a chair, his leg is swollen. What do I need to do to keep in place and is there any hope for my little chick:(

Try wrapping the hock with surgical tape or duct tape (a small strip). Vetwrap may also work. Once into the chair with the leg wrapped and the tendon in place, it may heal up within a few days. Unfortunately, many of these also have an infection in the hock, so keep an eye on that.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

try
this web site, there are other ones too. I tried to rub the hock joint while stretching the leg and it didnt work well. It kept going back. I next did more research and used a plastic straw as a cast, cut up the center to slip on. kept cast on for 3 days, checking it to make sure it was adjusted correct and not cutting in "his" leg (was hoping for a girl). then this leg was splayed so we had to use the bandaid trick for another 4 days. When the cast was on it was hard to walk but he did ok, same with the band aid trick, but he is 11 weeks old now and doing great. He cant run real fast...which I am glad about. We decided to keep him since we put so much work in to him. Lets hope he stays nice.
Good luck!

Quote:
This sounds like something that BetsyOK has treated with success - she was telling us about it over on the Okie thread awhile back. Just in case this helps you, here is the conversation:

Quote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The chick came out of the shell this way....probably cramped in there. The little leg is moveable yet seems a little atrophied. the toes are flexible but are fixed in a slightly curled position. The chick tries to walk on it. I took the boot off so I can do therapy on the foot and leg...the bicycle motion...and gently massage the toes open and closed. I've dealt with spraddle leg and curled toes with the baby lovebirds before and they are way smaller than this baby. Sure is a spunky little thing all fluffy and loud. It's yellow with dark feathers on the sings and two little black specks on it's face...have no idea what it is...

If it is a slipped Achilles Tendon, it would be best not to work it, as that will make the joint swell, which makes it nearly impossible to get the tendon back in place. With the leg straight, gently but firmly take the joint between your index finger and thumb and roll it back and forth. If it is a slipped tendon and the necessary groove is there, you'll feel the tendon pop in and out of place. If you find that is what it is, take a very narrow strip of DUCT tape and, popping the tendon into place, wrap the tape around and around the joint ON ITSELF. Be sure it is holding the tendon in place. If done correctly, the chick should be able to move almost normally. If this is a correct diagnosis and the groove is there, it should take only a few days to correct it. The natural oils in the chicks skin will loosen the duct tape. If it pops out again after a bit, repeat the procedure. If it is a congenital defect, it can't be fixed without skilled surgery.

yep sounds about right, except my guys leg woundnt straighten out. his hock was very swollen, he was in his shell over a day trying to get out. We end up peeling him out. I coundnt let him die that way. we tried the tape with no luck...I was also afraid it would be hard to get off so maybe I didnt go tight enough. thats why I ended up going with the straw as a splint.
msheuy - keep us posted hope s/he is okay!

Back
Top Bottom