Silkie's how do you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mum mummy, May 31, 2010.

1. mum mummy

mum mummy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I have 2 silkies that are about 5 or 6 weeks old. How do I tell if they are a hen or roo???

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Silkie's are one of the hardest breeds to sex at a young age. The only foolproof way is to wait and see which one crows or lays an egg. Other than that, a roo will have little streamers (strands of plumage longer than the rest) coming off the back of his head. But there again, you usually wont see that until it is almost ready to start crowing. Do a search for silkie rooster and maybe you will see what I am talking about with the streamers.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Usually the first indication you will see if a silkie is a cockerel would be more pronounced comb and wattles. In colors such as partridge, you can often sex them early based on their color and pattern. As they get to be a few months old, the males will begin to develop streamers (long, wispy feathers sweeping back from the crest). Males will also tend to stand a bit more upright than the females. Can you post pics of your chicks?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    My roo developed his streamers long before any comb development was noticeable. Would love to see pics:)

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I see behavioral differences. The roos - at 5 weeks or so - are ready to mix it up with the flock. The pullets hang close to Mama Hen. If you throw a handful of scratch out & one of your "babies" fights for a share, likely the baby is a little roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by