Silkie's how do you tell the difference?

mum mummy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
I have 2 silkies that are about 5 or 6 weeks old. How do I tell if they are a hen or roo???

Silkie's are one of the hardest breeds to sex at a young age. The only foolproof way is to wait and see which one crows or lays an egg. Other than that, a roo will have little streamers (strands of plumage longer than the rest) coming off the back of his head. But there again, you usually wont see that until it is almost ready to start crowing. Do a search for silkie rooster and maybe you will see what I am talking about with the streamers.

Last edited:
Usually the first indication you will see if a silkie is a cockerel would be more pronounced comb and wattles. In colors such as partridge, you can often sex them early based on their color and pattern. As they get to be a few months old, the males will begin to develop streamers (long, wispy feathers sweeping back from the crest). Males will also tend to stand a bit more upright than the females. Can you post pics of your chicks?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I see behavioral differences. The roos - at 5 weeks or so - are ready to mix it up with the flock. The pullets hang close to Mama Hen. If you throw a handful of scratch out & one of your "babies" fights for a share, likely the baby is a little roo.

Back
Top Bottom