Silkies- Roos or Pullets?

encmanerabbitry

Songster
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tilbury, ON
Okay I need some help here. I'm pretty sure I know what hey are, but I need some reasurance, because anything that's a roo goes to the sale tomorrow because they aren't SQ. They are all 6 months old.

Okay so I know that these are a pair. Mostly just using them as a "guide".
Silkies2_3&4.JPG

I thought this one was a hen, but now I see its getting wattles, but I'm still not sure its a roo.
silkie2.JPG

I'm thinking roo, but I've seen a hen that looked like this.
silkie1.JPG

Last edited:
At 6 months, the pullets will start developing small wattles because their getting ready to lay. I say your black is a pullet because I cant see any streamers and its comb is flat and smooth. The white looks like a roo to me because you can see prominent streamers on his crest and his wattles are pretty large.

Just thought I'd update this for fun, because I was waaaay off!

The buff "PAIR" was not a pair at all, lol the one I thought was a hen, started crowing today, a good crow too!

And the white one was a hen, she laid an egg last week, I'm thinking she was older then I was told.

The black one is still on the fence at this point. But from now on, with all my silkies, no more guessing! It's officially an "IT" until it lays an egg or crows lol.

I was pretty surprised myself. The buff one is obviously a roo, it grew big wattles and a big comb almost over night, I kept thinking maybe it was going to lay, but no. This morning it was trying to breed all the girls in the pen and fight with the main rooster I've got, so he's for sale, and in his own pen for now.

I was surprised with the white one as well, but I actually saw her lay the egg. I've seen a hen that looked like that before though.

Back
Top Bottom